ENTRY FIFTY-EIGHT

Sugar and I enter a busy diner and glide past the plastic brown tables and white vinyl chairs, cutting through the clouds of cigarette smoke hazing the tobacco patined orange tiles. Sugar’s body feels different to me now, the gait in her walk and the curve of her spine, like something has pushed her abdomen all out of shape, but I can’t imagine what it could have been.

I see Charlie at a booth with worn brown vinyl seats facing a man we can only view the edge of. Charlie, now with silver hair peppered at the temples, waves us over eagerly, and we go to him.

“Sorry, I’m so late,” we say and then turn to introduce ourselves to the man. I feel Sugar stiffen before I even register that the man staring up at us is Hunter. His heavy eyelids are half-closed and he regards us with casual interest. He is a little more weathered than the last time we saw him.

“Darling, this is Jack. The man I’ve told you so much about. I believe you’ve already met,” Charlie says enthusiastically while beckoning a waitress over.

Sugar feigns surprise as Hunter explains, “Yes, I believe it was in Havana.”

Sugar draws a blank as she takes a seat beside Charlie, “I’ve never been to Havana. Perhaps you mean New York.” She is not feigning it, she really doesn’t remember ever going to Havana. Although for some reason I know she has been.

“Yes, I must be mistaken. I often mix the two places up,” Hunter smiles.

Charlie laughs while a waitress pours Sugar a cup of coffee. “What two funny places to mix up. Neither is like the other in any regard.” While Charlie continues to speak I can feel Sugar pull away from his rambling words into her own racing thoughts.

She doesn’t notice Hunter pick up the sugar package, open and offer it to her. “Sugar?” he grins. “Yes?” she replies, coming out of her own train of thought.

Hunter seems pleased, but Charlie rebukes, “Darling, you never take sugar in your coffee.”

“I’m sorry, my mind must have wondered. I suddenly feel a migraine come on. Darling, you won’t mind if I leave you two to catch up.” Sugar is rising before Charlie can even answer. She turns to Hunter and prods, “Mr...?”

“Call me, Jack.”

“Jack, I’m so sorry to leave you like this.”

“That’s quite all right,” he replies steadily. “I’ll be in town for a while; we will have plenty of time to get acquainted.”

Sugar nods and makes her exit. I can feel her knees buckle and wobble as she walks. The last thing I remember is Hunter's hearty laugh as we exit the restaurant.

[Deleted]