Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Four Weeks Later

Jeremy was dying.

For the past couple of weeks Jeremy was gradually becoming worse. He didn't go out anymore and would often be found in bed, sleeping or cursing his head off about not being able to go out due to his lack of energy. The only time he actually did go out was to see the doctor. I spent most of my days, if not every day, hanging out at his house, watching movies or talking to him. Eventually one day he snapped, not able to handle the sedentary lifestyle any longer.

"This is fucked up, you shouldn't be here babysitting me Casey," Jeremy told me as we were watching an old 1960s thriller in his bedroom. I turned my head to face him and sighed, turning off the TV with the remote. Jeremy stared at me frowning deeply, clearly miserable. I couldn’t really blame him, it almost felt like we were in a hospital all the time with me sitting in a chair beside his bed like a parent would.

"Jeremy, it's not that bad."

Jeremy picked up a pillow and groaned into it before facing me, "but it is. Can't you see that or are you just completely blind. Casey you deserve better right now," he said.

"Jeremy I like being here with you, what the hell do you want me to do? I'm your goddamn girlfriend," I replied frustrated, we had been over this many times before. He shook his head like he didn't believe me and frowned even deeper, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You shouldn't be here watching crappy movies with me when you could be out there actually living your life. For the love of god I don't want you to watch me slowly deteriorate, I feel like a walking dead man," he spat bitterly.

"Jeremy," I warned.

He clenched his jaw, "I just cannot believe I pulled you into this," he muttered to himself.

I stared at him, "pulled me into what?"

"This!" he exclaimed picking up the first thing he could get his hands and throwing it across the room. I flinched as it smashed loudly against the wall; my eyes darted quickly between him and the remains of a broken alarm clock.

This is what we had really had come to.

Jeremy looked at me and shook his head, "I should have done that, I'm sorry. It's just that I really can't stand this," he spoke, pressing his hands against his eyes. "If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't even be here right now!"

"Jeremy," I said trying to keep my voice even, "let's not talk about it, okay?"

"Not talk about it?" he repeated coldly, "We just can’t keep avoiding the truth," Jeremy said, meeting my eyes. "I wish we could, but we can't Casey. We just can't."

I stayed silent and stared at him. A person who I felt like I no longer knew anymore. I remembered my dad telling me to never let go and show Jeremy how much I loved him. I thought that it would be much easier and clearly I was wrong. I was trying my best to be there for Jeremy but he just kept pushing me away. I wanted to so badly give in and give Jeremy what he wanted. However I knew that if I did that I would be making the biggest mistake of my life.

"Casey?"

"Yeah?" I replied, snapping out of my thoughts.

"Why are you even going out with me?” Jeremy asked quietly, lowering his tone.

“What?” I asked, confused with the unexpected change in mood.

“Just answer the question,” he sighed.

I bite the inside of my cheek and smiled slightly, “Well because you’re thoughtful, confusing at times, exciting, amazing, and handsome,” I listed, “or maybe it’s just because you’re Jeremy and I can’t resist.” I said rolling my eyes playfully.