Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"What are you doing?"

My head snapped up and I smiled sheepishly, shrugging my shoulders. I was sitting on a bench outside the store relaxing and Bridget didn't look too happy about it. We were at the mall and I was pretty confident that we had been through every single store that sold women apparel. So when we approached this store I decided to give myself a break and hang out outside. Bridget walked into the store, not even realizing that I stopped. Ten minutes later Bridget rushes out of the store and finds me hanging out, talking to an eleven year old girl.

The girl name was Maddie and we were engaged in a pretty deep conversation. I'm not even sure how we actually started talking, but she was really cool to talk to. We argued about what decade was the best for thriller movies and I found myself in a better mood than I had been all day.

That was until Bridget came out and decided to scold me for not following her into the store.

"I'm, uh, talking?" I said, pointing the obvious.

"Casey we have to find you a dress! You can just hang around and expect it to come to you."

"Bridget we have five hours, I'm pretty sure I have enough time to find a dress," I argued.

"Why do you need a dress for?" Maddie spoke up, glancing between us.

"I have a date," I answered grinning, "and this chick right here,” I said pointing at Bridget, "is freaking out about it more than I am."

Bridget rolled her eyes but smiled, "I'm not freaking out that much. Maybe it's because you haven't had a boyfriend in seventeen years," Bridget said playfully.

"What! I have had a boyfriend. Remember Matt from-"

Bridget laughed, "dares don't count Casey."

"Ha-ha, okay, okay. You're just jealous because I dated the hottest guy in the fourth grade and you didn't," I said turning back to Maddie who was staring at me with wide eyes. "What?" I asked.

"You've never had a real boyfriend?" She asked with surprise. I was about to say something, but she spoke again, "You're like my idol." She added smiling.

"I am?" I asked cocking an eyebrow.

"She is?" Bridget said at the exact same time.

Maddie nodded her head and looked at me, "I just think that too many girls date too many guys these days. Girls will go out with guys for a certain amount of time and most likely end up in heartbreak. There's really only one guy that a girl should date and that she'd be the person she wants to spend the rest of her life with. I mean it's okay to date a couple to see what kind of guys you go best with and learn your mistakes from, but not too many. Sometimes I see my sister, Rachael going out with tons of guys that she doesn't really even like or who treat her bad. I mean that’s just my opinion, but it’s why you’re my idol." Maddie finished.

I stared at her in disbelief, "wow," I said.

"How old are you?" Bridget asked, studying her.

"Eleven."

"Eleven?" Bridget repeated, stunned. I grinned at Maddie, who shrugged back. I liked this kid.

"What, do I seem older?" Maddie asked.

"Well yeah. You just gave a whole speech on dating as if you were an adult."

"I'm told that I act mature for my age, that's probably why I don't have any friends or a boyfriend," Maddie observed. She glanced between us and opened her mouth as if she was about to continue, but then closed it.