chapter 5

The world returned to Jason, so slowly that he wasn't aware of when he became aware. He kept his eyes closed and listened for a few moments. There was no talking so Jason opened his eyes just a fraction. The room he was in was nearly empty, the scientists were gone and only a few guards remained dotted about. Safe for the moment Jason started to think. How could he get out of this? If he escaped where could he go? Could he take being shot by the guns the soldiers carried? Round and round the questions whizzed in Jason's head. In fact he was so focussed that he didn't hear the quiet, far off wailing of a siren. The first thing he saw was when the soldiers started to move off. Keeping his eyes nearly shut he watched as all but one soldier left the room quickly.

Perfect he thought now if only I could get out of this stupid contraption.

Jason tried to pull against the steel straps but they wouldn't budge.

Of course, why would I be able to just break free?

But since he had nothing else he could do Jason pulled again. Something felt slightly odd the second time though. Jason relaxed and then strained again. The third time felt even more different, Jason couldn't put his finger on why but he felt stronger. Again and again Jason pulled against the metal bands and each time he felt more powerful. Jason lost track of time but finally he pulled and the metal bent slightly. Jason's eyes, which he'd kept closed, shot open. Grinning he pulled once more and the metal groaned. One last yank and the metal came free, luckily the guard was far enough away not to hear the noise. Jason stared momentarily, he'd just ripped a steel restraint off with his arm. Quickly making use of this new-found strength Jason prised off the other arm brace and then freed his legs. With one last look towards the guard, who was looking in the other direction, Jason let go of the restraints and fell from the strange machine to the floor. A few minutes were spent massaging limbs back to normal before Jason set off. Quietly, quickly, he crept along between the rows of machinery. It was dark down there, only the machine where he'd been held above was brightly lit, and Jason instinctively stuck to the shadows. When he reached the wall he sneaked along till he came to a doorway. Jason was about to activate it when it suddenly whooshed open of it's own accord. Jason curled up and cowered in the shadows beside the doorway. Through his arms he saw a scientist walk past him completely obliviously and head off into the maze of machinery. Jason uncurled, blinked and then slipped through the open door thanking his luck. He blinked again, this time because his eyes weren't used to the bright light illuminating the corridor. When his sight returned Jason hurried off, he didn't want to be caught. Jason went as quickly as he dared and loped down what seemed like endless corridors. After too long Jason turned a corner just in time to see a squad of soldiers go round the next corner. Jason immediately stopped and looked about for another way when he paused and thought.

That siren is still going, and if soldiers are moving around with an alarm going then my knowledge of films tells me that there's an intruder. Therefore those soldiers must be heading towards the exit or wherever the intruder intruded. So if I follow them and stay hidden... I might get out of this after all.

Jason set off down the corridor after the sound of booted footsteps.

If it is an intruder I wonder who it could be? I mean, no one I know would invade the army for me. And besides no one knows I’m here.

Jason paused for a second.

It couldn't be Neil... we've only just met... he wouldn't stick his neck out for me...he doesn't even know I’m here...

Jason set off in a hurry, sprinting now, not caring for the noise.

Trouble is... Neil's the only person I can think of who would... and could... come after me... I just hope I’m wrong.