The Highlander

Copyright © 2014

Chapter 1

Rosie was mentally chastising herself for being as foolish as to venture out in the dead of night as a lone maiden to see what was worrying the horses so, when she happened upon a man or rather perhaps what seemed like a beast.

Towering over 6ft 4 with a kilt giving him away as a highlander and shoulders so broad she found herself doubting he could fit through the doorway of what was safe to say quite a humble abode that she liked to call her own, the moonlight now peaked out from behind the stormy clouds which had rain pouring down furiously and revealed the black hair that lay matted to the handsome strangers forehead but what seemed even more striking than the humungous profile of the stranger was the sharp features of his face that looked as if carved out of marble like the roman statues she had seen so many times in the pages of her favorite book.

After she had finished studying the stranger he had arrived at the stables in a limping manner, wounded it seemed but what confused her was that the stranger seemed to have no intention of stopping there to steal a horse which was what she had assumed was his purpose on her small piece of land, god knew she would have tried hard but certainly failed in preventing him from doing so she may have been stubborn but she was not a fool to think otherwise.

However when the handsome stranger started to draw nearer Rosie's cottage she immediately went inside.

Hoping the handsome highlander hadn't seen her yet she took one of sturdier chairs and barred the door after locking it, she may be willing to let a stranger that she knew she couldn't overpower steal one of the horses her father had left her after he died but she would be damned before she let him raid her home for any treasures, not that she had any except for the jewelery she had inherited after her mother died but this was still her home and the only piece of familiarity and connection to her family she had left.

She waited patiently behind the door with one of the pokers from the fireplace in hand as she would not put it past the stranger to break through.

After a few seconds she could hear the strangers footsteps outside the door.

A few knocks came upon the wood of the door and the most melodic of voices followed.

"Ti's most rude of ye' no tae open the door fer a wounded man lass"

The man had seen her and had the audacity to tease her about her manners after coming upon her land unannounced but more importantly he seemed to know she was alone in the cottage. Rosie was furious, how dare he correct her in her manners.

" Aye, unfortunately for you we lowlanders don't make it a habit to open the doors for strangers that look like they can crush your skull between their hands"

The strangers booming laughter could be heard miles away she was sure of it and it only furthered her anger that he made it quite clear he was enjoying himself in what she considered to be a serious and dangerous situation.

"Come lass open the door I give ye mee word I won't lay a hand on ye" he said amusement clear in his voice and then he added " unless ye want me tae lassie, do ye want me tae?".

" It would be a cold day in hell when I let your hands come anywhere near me highlander, now go away!"

" However much this conversation has delighted mee bonny lass, mee wounds are gettin worse and if ye donna open this door yer going tae have tae stand aside cos I'm going to break it down"

Rosie grew even angrier, not only was he terrorizing her he was planning on damaging her house. Did he think that she would let him do so without retaliating or defending herself once he did, if so the stranger was terribly mistaken?

Then just as she felt the stranger had left, the door flew of its hinges and the beast of a man stepped inside only for Rosie to lift her poker and swing it delivering a straight blow to his head that would surely be the cause of quite the bruise in the morning.

A/N: Don't really know what will become of this i was just bored so i started writing to clear my mind of everything else i hope you enjoyed and that i'll have time to continue.