Chapter 17

The pitter patter of rain on her bedroom windows was what woke her in the morning along with a burning sensation in her throat. Coughing and moaning she turned over and opened her eyes. She was still drowsy but the grey light streaming in through the narrow windows of her bedroom told her she had most likely overslept. 

Dragging herself out of bed, she quickly got dressed in a simple light blue gown. The one she had been wearing the day before was missing from where she remembered leaving it. A muddstain on the wood flooring was the only sign it had been there at all. 

She pushed her unhinged chamber door to the side and left the room. Remebering the path she had traveled the night before, she reached the servant stairs rather quickly and descended towards the kitchen. She felt relieved when she recognized the woman stirring in one of the pots above the stove. The kitchen was bustling with life. Presumably breakfast was being prepared.

"Nelly?"

Turning around, the woman seemed surprised but immediately gave her a big smile as she gestured for her to enter. "Come here dear. How are ye feeling?"

"Better. Much better. Thank you for asking."

Nelly leaned closer to her when she noticed how the kitchen maids would pause as they came closer and subtly turn their way to hear what the newcommer had to say. "The laird was no too vexed with ye yesterday, was he lass?" 

Rose felt embarassed of what had transpired the night before. "No I assure you he was not although I am deeply aggrieved at myself for having put you in such a position to begin with Nelly. It was not my intention." 

"Ach, it is water under the bridge dear. No need to think of it aný further." She gave her another gentle smile before she glared at one of the more curious maids which seemed to have inched closer to them. 

"'Ye 'ave no eaten yet dear. 'Ave ye?"

"No. Could I perhaps have something to take with me out into the field today?" She wanted to get started as soon as possible. Too much of her time had already been wasted due to her late morning start. 

Nelly frowned. "I 'ave been instructed to let ye know that ye will be having breakfast with the laird and his company today." She seemed bothered at the notion and Rose figured she knew who must have done the instructing, for the woman before her to swallow her pride in order to forward the message.

Rose pressed her lips together. "And I suppose following this instruction is not voluntary."

"No such luck dear." Nelly gave her a compassionate glance before she turned towards the curious maid behind her. "Claire, ye will show the lady Abernathy to her seat in the dining hall."

"Yes Nelly." The girl bowed her head slightly and immediately started to walk towards the kitchen exit.

Frustrated, Rose followed the girl out of the kitchens and down the hall where they entered through two large wooden doors. "The seat reserved fer guests is at the left side of the Laird me lady."

There were at least five different tables in the dining room hall but only one of them was occupied. The largest one in the middle of the room was fully seated with men and one or two women as well. They were all conversing loudly while eating their breakfast except for the man at the head of the table. 

Caines large frame was dressed in a white linen shirt and leather breeches. She noticed many of the men around the table were dressed similarly in shirts and breeches, some with their kilt thrown across their shoulder. Her gaze traveled back to the man that had arranged for her presence this morning.