Chapter 18

"So where are we going?" I asked from the passenger seat since I decided to let him drive. 

"I don't know yet. We'll decide once we get back into town."

I nodded and put my feet up on the dashboard.

"So..." I trailed before looking up at him. "Tell me about this girl you like," I asked slowly.

He blushed but tried to cover it with a smirk. "Why do you want to know?"

I shrugged. "I'm curious."

"Um, I believe the word you are looking for is 'jealous'."

I scoffed. "Puh-lease."

"Just admit it," he teased. 

"Tell me about this girl," I insisted instead. "Maybe I will be able to save her poor soul," I joked.

I watched as a smile lit up his face. "Alright. She's smart. Funny. A little shy, but demanding. Caring. And  extremely beautiful," he said as he turned to look at me once we were at a red light. "I know that's only a few words to describe her but she is really so much more than that."

As I looked into his eyes, I saw that all of the things he said were genuine. I offered him a small smile before he had to turn back towards the road. "She sounds wonderful," I replied softly.

"She is. More than she'll ever know."

"Well, she's lucky then."

His eyebrows rose in surprise. "Yeah?"

"I meant what I said earlier, Reece. You really are a good person," I told him truthfully. "This girl is lucky to have you."

He gave me a full blown smile. "Not as lucky as I am."

I could practically feel my heart sinking in my chest. Why did I feel this way?

I cleared my throat before saying the words that made my heart sink even further in pain. "Then why don't you tell her how you feel?"

"I'm working up to it," he responded with a grin. 

I was silent the rest of the way. I really didn't know what else to say.

Once we got back to town we drove around, looking for somewhere to go. 

"I know where we can go," Reece said suddenly as he turned.

"Where?" I asked.

"Skating," he said brightly.

My legs wobbled as I rolled out onto the floor. 

"Aren't dancers supposed to be graceful?" Reece asked as he skated in front of me. Like the show off he was he was skating backwards.

"In case you haven't noticed, dance shoes don't have wheels on them!" I snapped, which ended up making me loose my concentration and my balance as well. I fell forward a bit, but Reece caught me and steadied me in his arms. Hm. Skating might not be so bad after all.

Wait, what?

"See? Your knight and shining armor was here to catch you," he said dramatically.

I snorted. "Really? Because all I see is a jester," I replied. 

He put a hand over his chest as he feigned hurt. "Such harsh words for a noble hero."

I was about to respond but instead grabbed his arms tightly as I almost fell over again.