Part 6

"Wow," Matthew exclaimed when we finally separated our lips. We had only stopped out epic kiss because oxygen was necessary to life.

My response to Matthew's exclamation was an awed nod. I couldn't believe Matthew had actually kissed me. Matthew was the one to break the silence since I was in too much shock to speak. "That was the best kiss I've ever had." His smile took up his whole face.

Without thinking I replied, "That was the only kiss I've ever had." As soon as I said it I felt my face flush with embarrassment and I lowered my eyes to the floor.

I felt Matthew's fingers raise my chin so my eyes would met his. In his eyes, I saw nothing but adoration. He didn't seem shocked to discover that information. He seemed pleased. "I'm your first kiss?" Matthew asked me. The pride on his face made my blush deepen, but it wasn't from embarrassment this time.

"Is that okay?" I knew he enjoyed himself, but I was still a bit insecure. "I mean, was the kiss okay?"

Matthew cupped my face tenderly in his hands. His expression was soft and his lips answered my question for him. Once again, his lips were touching mine. This time, it was just a brief brush, but that didn't dull the intensity of it. "Jaylyn, it was perfect. It was like our souls collided and became one for just a moment. I couldn't imagine anything better than what we just shared together."

This time the tears on my face had nothing to do with my mother or Matthew's kidnapping. My heart was bursting with happiness. I didn't know how it was possible in such a short time, but I was in love with Matthew Connors. There was something inside of me that just knew he was the person I was meant to spend the rest of my life with. Did he feel the same way? Was he aware of the effect he had on me?

For several long seconds we just stared into each other's eyes. Then, Matthew slowly pushed the tears off my cheeks with his right index finger and the moment was broken. "As much as I enjoyed what we just did there," Matthew sighed, "I think we have more important things to figure out right now."

I knew he was right, but I wasn't quite ready to let go of the magic. "Yes, Dominic Cross. From what he said in the dream and the fact that I was the one who saw his dreams, he is in the Chicago area. Only dreamcatchers in a fifty mile radius of IDEAS headquarters in Chicago are seen by me. He has to be nearby. Possibly even St. Charles since that is where you are."

"In his dream he said he found me. How could he have found me?"

"Well, you aren't exactly hiding, but I don't know. He must've been looking for you to find a way to make sure you weren't able to identify him. Or maybe his pride was so wounded and he became so angry that he just wants revenge on you for foiling his kidnapping. Whatever his reason, Dominic Cross is a dangerous individual who needs to be stopped."

"You are right, of course, but I don't know how to go about making sure he is punished for his crime."

"All we can do, I think, is take our concerns to the police. I wouldn't have been able to go there on my own because I can't visually identify him as the man who kidnapped you twenty years ago. All I can do is tell the police about what I saw in the dreams and hope that with your testimony they are able to obtain a search warrant that grants them access to IDEAS files on Dominic Cross. You would have to be willing to let them have access to your files as well, Matthew."

We had moved from the kitchen table back to the guest bedroom. It symbolized a safe haven. A place where we had both been able to remove ourselves from the demons that normally haunted out dreams. I sat down on the bed with my legs crossed over each other. Gripping his hand in mine, I pulled Matthew down to sit across from me. "Matthew, you will also have to testify if there is enough evidence to bring Dominic to trial. You realize this, don't you?"

"Of course I realize this, Jaylyn. This is not the first time I have thought about what I would have to do in the event my kidnapper was caught and brought to justice. There is nothing I want more than to see that man rot in prison for what he did to me - for what he is still doing to me - but I am humble enough to admit that I am completely terrified."

I moved forward quicker than I thought possible. I was on my knees in front of Matthew and I put my arms around him. His arms surrounded me tightly in return. I was his anchor in this moment. "It is okay to be scared. I think you and I have been scared our entire lives. What matters is how we deal with the fear." I pulled back and made sure he was looking squarely in my eyes. "Do you want to know what I think?"

"More than anything in this world," he whispered.

"I think that you need to do this. I think that the only way you will be able to move on from the nightmares that plague you each night is by finally confronting the man that took your security away from you and see him punished for it. No man, no person, should be able to get away with doing something like that to another person. Ever. And here we are with the power to at least try to do something about it!" I could hear the passion in my voice. I don't think I'd ever been this passionate about something in my life before. There was something about my sudden deep affection for Matthew that made me care so intensely what happened to him and want nothing more than for him to be happy and love me back.

"You shouldn't say things like that. Those words could make a man fall in love with you." My breath caught in my throat. Did he just say what I think he said? He didn't say he loved me, but that he could fall in love with me. Was he being sincere? Was he teasing me? Either way, I didn't have time to dwell on his words. But there was a good chance I would dissect and analyze every syllable and facial expression and voice tone later that evening.

Now, however, it was time to go to the nearest police station and tell them what we knew.