Did They Hear??

I then lurched from my spot. Kale went down on the ground, from what i could see, he was holding his chest.

"Shit." I ran towards him not caring if i was going to be shot too. I bent over Kale as he starred into my eyes with such fear. He was sweating bad and was still holding his chest. I look over at Michael who was shaking as he held the gun to his chest. He was shocked, i just about got up to smack him for what he has done. He pretty much gave away where we were in the building and probably killed the only person in this damn town that cared for me. 

I kept my mouth shot and i shook my head at him. He kept his eyes on Kale, hoping he would get up and be fine again. We all waited for them now. The screams stopped and all the horrible noises that came from the floors below us stopped. They knew we were up here, its only a matter of time until they got up here. 

I turned my attention back to Kale, he was still breathing heavily and shaking. We needed help, but how?

Laurie and the little girl made the trip and crouched next to me, i never looked up at them though. I knew i was going to loose Kale. Why did i care so much?

Laurie went to the other side of Kale and helped me hold the pressure on his wound. "I told him not to play with those guns. Now look what he has done to you." She was speaking to Kale directly. I looked up at her now, "What do you propose we do about this then, huh? They are going to come up here and kill us if we don't move him." I was pissed and terrified, not going to lie but i had every right to. We were on the same side, i think, but why did Michael have to come up here and shooting people. 

Laurie was starring at me now. "Help me with him, if they are coming then let them come, but for now they are not here and we need to help him now."

She snapped back at me, i deserved that i thought to myself. She turned her attention back to Kale and began to take of his flannel then his shirt underneath. 

"Do not stop the pressure, he cannot bleed anymore," she instructed. I was pressing on his bare chest now. Seeing him topless brought back memories, why was i even thinking like that.

I didn't see what Laurie was doing but she then came out with more instructions. We ended up lifting Kale up and tightly wrapping the shirt around his torso. He was doing very well but not making too much noise. I know i would be screaming if i got shot. 

While he was still sitting up, we put his flannel back on him with a coat that was brought up. It was freezing up here, i almost forgot that it was the middle of winter, in Alaska. 

Kale then was laid down on his back, we could not move him very much since we had no idea where the bullet was.

There was then a long silence in the room. Screams continued from outside, distant screams, but nothing from below us.

It seemed like forever before Laurie finally spoke.

"We need to find Greg. He came remove the bullet, maybe save Kale." i was crouched next to Kale with my head between my arms. I looked up at her when she spoke from across the room. She was next to Michael again with the girl. 

"You are kidding me right? I have no idea where he is and its not like we can call him. Maybe he got attacked and..." Laurie interrupted me, "Well fine, you try and save him, he doesn't have much life left."

I stood up, "We don't even know who is out there and why they are out there and what they want or anything. We need to know what we are up against and i think since Michael is trigger happy, maybe he should go look!"

i was whisper yelling but i was still trying to be quiet. Laurie looked at me with her mouth wide open and she had nothing else to say. i breathed and calmed myself down. I sat back down and took Kale's hand again. I was still the outcast in this town, and everyone here was really close. I could see that she did not like me but we are going to have to work together now. 

"She is right." Michael finally spoke, he was still sitting in the same position for the last hour. He was still starring at the gun and shaking from what he has done, or the cold. 

We all looked at him for the first time in a while, Laurie was in more shock from both our comments I'm sure. 

"I will go down stairs and check out the damage. Greg lives a couple blocks over, maybe i can go out and check." He then looked up to Laurie for permission. "Say it is okay, Laurie."

Laurie got all teary eyed from what i could see. It was still night time and the darkness would be a good cover for him. She shook her head and started to cry now. He stood up slowly and went over to his bag as Laurie tried to grab at him to bring him back to her. "No, no, no." she continued to say no getting louder with each time. Michael turned back to her and put a finger to his lips. "I did this to Kale, now i am going to clean up my mess. He needs the doctor." He looked away from her and started to dig through his bag. 

The little girl in Laurie's lap gave her a hug and did not let go. 

"What about me Michael, what if you die? you don't know whats out there, you don't know how many of them there is!"

Michael had put the rifle back and pulled out some pistols and a flare. He was ignoring Laurie and continued to until he was downstairs. Before he shut the door that leads down stairs, he looked at her and smiled. "I love you Laurie, i always have." Laurie then started to wail for him and crawled to the door. the little girl was trying to coo her but Laurie ignored her. 

I never moved from my spot by Kale but i did shh her as we listened for Michael. 

Minutes passed, then we heard someone opening up the door. Michael poked his head through the door. His wide eyes gave it all away as he came back up stairs. Laurie jumped on Michael practically when he came up from the door but he was not alone. 

There was more people behind him. three men and two more girls climbed up through the door along with two kids. I got up from Kale and walked over to the new comers. Maybe the doctor was here to help..

I didn't recognize the three men but two were in their early 40s and one looked my age. I then turned my head to the girls, my eyes locked with Sophia's. Kale's f buddy and my old best friend. 

"Great." i said out loud.