Chapter XVII

Chapter XVII

~Jessica’s POV~

“You’re leaving again?” My mom asked with a surprised look on her face. “You just arrived a few hours ago. You took a shower, took a nap and now you’re leaving?” she asked in a hurt tone. I walked to where she was seated on our kitchen and hugged her. “You know that if Phillip doesn’t need me now that I’ll stay here Mom.” I told her. She pouted her lips and said, “My baby is growing up too fast.” “Aww, Mom! You’re gonna make me cry.” I told her and laughed softly. “Are you coming home tonight?” she asked. I shook my head and told her. “I’ll probably spend the night in the hospital. I’ll come home tomorrow morning to get ready for our flight in the afternoon.” “Make sure that you’ll get some rest in the hospital.” She said.

I grabbed my handbag and headed out the door where a cab was already waiting for me. If only I had taken driving lessons, I would be driving my new Ford car now. I thought to myself as I saw my Ford car collecting dust in the driveway.

~Flashback~

“You don’t know how to drive?” Phillip asked me. I shook my head and frowned as I saw him burst into laughter while trying to concentrate on his driving. “Sorry… I didn’t mean to laugh.” He said and then he reached over and held my hand with his free hand. I stuck my tongue out at him and said, “It’s not that I didn’t want to learn, I just didn’t have time to learn.” He let go of my hand and cupped my chin. “Do you want to learn how to drive?” he asked. “Yes, I want to… maybe after the tour I should look into a good driving school.” I said. He was glancing at me with an amused look on his face and said, “I was trying to be subtle… What I meant to say is… would you like me to teach you how to drive?”  “Hmmm… I’d have to think about it. It depends on how you teach. I don’t want a serious and grumpy teacher.” I told him while trying to give off a serious vibe which drastically failed when I couldn’t suppress my giggles and burst out laughing. “Does that mean yes?” He asked as he slung his hand over my shoulder and pulled me nearer to him. “We’ll see…” I replied.

~End of Flashback

We arrived at the hospital a few minutes later and I saw a couple of reporters huddled in the corner. It’s a good thing you pre-meditated that they would be here. I thought to myself. I put on my oversized glasses and placed a scarf around my head and tried to blend in with a couple of people who were huddled near the hospital door. I quickly darted in and ran toward the elevator earning a few curious looks from some bystanders.

I entered his room and saw his mom sitting at the couch. She looked surprised when she saw me and I realized that I still had my guises on. I quickly removed my glasses and scarf and offered a simple explanation, “There are reporters outside the hospital.”  She nodded and patted the seat beside her. “The Doctor said that the surgery was successful, He's currently in the Recovery Room.” She said.

A few hours later Phillip was transported back to the room. He was sound asleep and the Doctor explained that he’ll be wide awake in a couple of hours. A phone rang piercing the deadly silence that fell after the Doctor left and his mom gestured that she was going to answer the call somewhere private. I nodded and as soon as she left, I stood up and walked over to Phillip’s bed. “Hey PP, the Doctor said that you’re surgery was successful. I want you to regain your strength immediately so that you could give me driving lessons. Ok?” I told him wondering if he could hear me.

I grabbed his hand and held it close to my cheek pondering if I should take this time to talk to him about everything that’s been bothering me since I heard his voicemail. This is the best time for you to talk to him; I heard one part of my brain telling me. No, how can he tell you his side if he’s unconscious? Another side of my brain countered. Coming to a conclusion that I didn’t have enough courage to hear what he has to say, I decided to spill my heart’s content.

~End of Jessica’s POV

~

~Phillip’s POV~

Damn, is this a dream? I subconsciously asked myself. I could hear what seems to be Jessica talking softly to me. I could feel a numb throbbing on my flank and I couldn’t move. It was like I had a huge concrete slab on my body preventing me from moving. Is Jessica really here or is my mind playing a trick on me? Way to go! You’re probably feeling guilty after you sent her that scathingly horrible voice mail. I thought to myself. I didn’t really want to send that voice mail and I wanted to cancel it but it was one of those moments where you realize your mistake once it’s done and all you can do is look at the effects your stupidity has caused.

I tried to concentrate on what Jessica or my twisted figment of imagination wanted to say. “I know you were mad PP, and I don’t know if you really meant what you had to say, but I was really hurt. I wanted to be here and I wanted to do everything I promised you I would do. I missed my flight; I had to wait for a chance to ride on the next flight. I really wanted to be here PP.” she said.

~End of Phillip’s POV~

~

~Jessica’s POV~

I wish you heard what I had to say PP, I silently mused. I gently laid his hand on the bed and walked over to the couch. I felt my phone vibrating and I fished it out of my pants to check who sent me a message. I opened the message which read;

“Meet me in the rooftop of the Hospital. I need to talk to you – Skinny Micky”

Thinking that it was all just a practical joke I texted him back.

“Are you serious Skinny Micky? I’m here in Phillip’s room. We can talk here.”

A few seconds later my phone vibrated and I opened his message.

“I’ll be waiting for you here whether or not you decide to come.”

Knowing Colton would really wait there till he shivers to death I looked for Phillip’s mom and told her that I just needed to go somewhere and that I’ll be back soon. She nodded and continued talking on her phone so I decided to go to the rooftop.

I saw Colton waiting for me on the door leading to the rooftop and he looked at me seriously. “What’s up Micky?” I asked him. He didn’t answer and just walked toward me. He brought out a handkerchief and proceeded to blindfold me. I was about to remove it when he spoke and said, “Don’t… Just this once… make me do something for you.” I dropped my hand and felt him hold my hand and put his other arm around my shoulder. He lead me somewhere but It felt like we went outdoors because it was suddenly chilly. He led me a couple of steps and stopped. I heard him moving around and then I felt him stand behind me. He untied the blindfold and told me to open my eyes. I gasped when I saw why he insisted on meeting here on the rooftop. There were lit candles all over the floor, rose petals were strewn around a small table that was set for two. I glanced at him with a questioning look trying to figure out what he was thinking. He walked over to me and said, “Jessica Elizabeth Sanchez, I’m done watching you cry and seeing you being misunderstood. I’m not going to let your eyes shed one more tear unless it’s tears of joy. I like you and I’m going to fight for you.

~End of Jessica’s POV~

~End of Chapter 17~