Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI

~Jessica’s POV~

My phone fell with a loud thud on the floor. I felt like I was in a paradox world, a world where pain and anguish is a reality one must learn to love. I glanced at Phillip, half expecting him to open his eyes and tell me I’ve been punk’d and this was all just a twisted joke. I wanted to shake him till he wakes up just so I can demand him to take everything back. But I couldn’t and all the stress from yesterday, the exhaustion and my own feelings of hurt all took a toll on me. I sank on my knees and cried like I’ve never cried before.

~Flashback~

I don’t know why you’re not here.

You should have been here an hour ago. If you’re too tired or didn’t really want to accompany me, you could have just told me so that I wouldn’t look like a fool waiting for you when you’re clearly not coming!

I was wrong to think that I could count on you.

You’re clearly too young to understand how a real relationship works.

I guess I deserve this for doing what I did to Hannah.

~End of Flashback~

Every word he said was coated with too much spite that I couldn’t believe that it came from his mouth. I was too consumed by my pain and self pity that I didn’t notice someone entering the door and running toward me. That person grabbed me into a hug and led me to the couch. I fell backward to the couch and tried to stop my tears from falling.

~End of Jessica’s POV~

~

~Colton’s POV~

“Mr. Phillips is on room 2116, he’s currently sedated but you can still visit him. Just avoid any loud noises.” The Nurse told me. I walked slowly, completely baffled as to why I decided to visit him ahead of the others. We were all supposed to visit him after his surgery but something inside me urged me to come and visit him today. As I was about to open the door to Phillip’s room, I heard a muffled cry coming from the other side of the door. I hurriedly opened it thinking that Phillip might be in distress or something. But then, I saw Jessica on her knees and she was crying her eyes out. I ran to her side and pulled her into a hug. What happened here? I pondered. I looked over to Phillip and saw that he was still under sedation. I led Jessica to the couch where she sat and frantically tried to stop her tears from falling. I sat down beside her and wrapped my arms around her. “I’m here, let it all out.” I told her. She buried her face in my chest and cried so hard that I felt my shirt soaked with her tears.

A few minutes later, she calmed down significantly and stopped crying. I brushed her hair aside and saw her eyes filled with too much sadness and pain. “What happened, Jess? Are you worried about the surgery? Everything’s gonna be ok.” I asked and reassured her. She shook her head and took a deep breath. She seemed to be on the verge of tears that I decided not to touch that topic again. “Am I too young to understand things?” I heard her muttering. “Did you come here alone?” she asked. “Yeah, I seem to have an instinct telling me if you need me.” I told her with a small laugh. She nodded and sighed. “Hey, I don’t know what’s going on, but you’ll get through it.” I said. She gave me a small smile and snuggled her head on my chest.

Minutes passed and I heard her gently snoring. I slowly lifted her head and placed a pillow underneath it. I also removed her shoes and positioned her feet on the couch before tucking her in with the blanket I found next to the couch. I saw a single tear escaping her eye and it broke my heart that I had to look away. This is ridiculous. I told myself. How can he still cause her to cry when he’s sedated? I silently pondered.

As I was thinking about the answers to my questions, I noticed her phone lying on the floor. I went over and picked it up. That’s odd, was she on the phone when whatever happened, happened? I thought to myself. I didn’t mean to pry on her privacy but I noticed a voicemail on hold and I decided to listen to it to see if it was what caused her to break down.

~End of Colton’s POV~

~

~Jessica’s POV~

“Shhh… your voice is too loud! You’re gonna wake her up!” I heard a woman speaking in a hushed tone. I opened my eyes and saw Phillip’s parents sitting across me. I sat up straight and tried to fix my hair and my clothes. I checked my watch and saw that it was already morning. I must have slept throughout the night. I thought to myself. “Good Morning, Mr. and Mrs. Phillips.” I greeted them with a smile. “Good Morning Jessica! You shouldn’t have gotten up. I’m sorry If we disturbed your sleep.” His mom said. “That’s okay Mrs. Phillips. I’ve had enough rest.” I told her. “Thank you for spending the night here with Phillip. You must be starved. We brought some sandwiches and juice. Let me get you some.” She said and stood up. “By the way, stop calling me Mrs. Phillips. You can call me Sheryl or Mom. Whatever you prefer.” She said with a wink.

I stood up, folded my blanket and went to the bathroom to wash my face. When I got out I saw a plate filled with sandwiches and a tall glass of juice on the table. “Come, eat something.” His mom said. I took a sandwich and said “Thank you”. I ate in silence as his mom and dad started to discuss their plans of relocating in L.A.

A sudden knock on the door jolted me from my thoughts and I saw two men entering the room. They both wore what looked like scrub suits and one of them looked at his parents and said, “We’re here to take Mr. Phillips to the Operating Room.” They transferred him to a stretcher and wheeled him out. His mom looked on the verge of tears, so I walked over and gave her a hug. She hugged me back and said, “Thank you for being such a sweetheart.”

After I released her from my hug, she looked at me and said, “Since he’s gonna be in surgery for a few hours, would you like to go home? I know you went straight here from the airport.” I nodded and told her, “I’m just gonna drop my bags and take a quick shower.” She smiled and nodded.

I took my bags and was about to leave when I remembered that I didn’t have my phone with me. I checked the room and found it on top of the side table with the charger neatly placed on top of it. His parents must have placed it there. I thought to myself. I grabbed my phone, bid them goodbye and went out.

I hailed a cab and told the driver the address. While he maneuvered his way trying to avoid the start of the rush hour, I kept myself busy thinking about what I should do when he wakes up. A few minutes later, the driver pulled up to our house and stopped the cab. I handed him my fare and went out of the cab. My mom greeted ran out of the house to greet me. “I missed you sweetie! We all did.” She said and took my bag from me and led me to the house.

~End of Jessica’s POV~

~End of Chapter 16~