Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV

~Phillip’s POV~

As soon as I was admitted in the Hospital, my health care team started doing diagnostic tests on me. I was repeatedly poked with needles for blood samples and given medication to ease the pain that was starting to make me uncomfortable. I started to get irritated when the nurse kept asking me if someone would come and accompany me to various departments where further tests would be made.

Where is she? I can’t believe she didn’t even tell me that she couldn’t make it! I rambled on in my thoughts. I was lying on the bed waiting for the volunteer who would bring me to the X-ray Department when I heard someone knocking faintly on the door. Finally! I thought and plastered a huge smile to welcome Jessica. “Come in. The door isn’t locked.” I said. The door opened and my smile began to falter. It wasn’t Jessica who knocked on the door. It was Hannah who came in holding a bouquet of flowers.

"Hey, your sister told me that you were already here in the hospital so I decided to drop by." Hannah said. "Uh... thanks." I told her. She laid the flowers on the chair and sat on my bed. She looked around and asked "Where's Jessica?" I just shrugged and gave her a quick smile. "So that's why you looked crestfallen when you saw me. You were hoping it was Jess." She said. "Yeah, she was supposed to accompany me today. But she didn't show up." I told her. "Did you try calling her phone?" she asked. "I tried to call her. But I couldn't get through. She was supposed to arrive about two hours ago. But she never showed up." I told her. "Let me try to call her." She said then searched her bag for her phone. I reached for my phone to check if I already have a message from her. But I didn't have any unread messages or voice mail. "It's leading me straight to her voice mail." She said. "Yeah... That's what I also get when I try to call her." I told her. "She should have at least sent a message if she couldn't make it." Hannah said with a tinge of disappointment in her voice. I just nodded and stared at the door wondering why Jessica failed to send me a message.

Another knock on the door disturbed me from my thoughts. Hannah walked to the door and opened it. “I’m here to take Mr. Phillips to the X-ray Department.” A guy pushing a wheelchair said. I got up and took my phone sat on the wheelchair. “You need to come with us so that you could hold your boyfriends’ personal belongings.” The volunteer told Hannah. “She –” I was about to tell the guy that she wasn’t my girlfriend but Hannah butted in. “Okay, I’ll go with you.”

~End of Phillip’s POV~

~

~Jessica’s POV~

Finally! I breathed a sigh of relief as I heard the Flight Attendant give instructions on overhead compartments, the location of the emergency exit and other random things. I wasn’t listening to what she was saying because I’ve heard those instructions a couple of times and I was too busy thinking about what might be going through Phillip’s mind. He must be pretty pissed by now. I thought silently. It was four hours past since the earlier flight I was supposed to be in left.

I’m on my way PP… Just wait for me. I whispered into the air silently wishing that he would give me a chance to explain my side. Exhausted and troubled at what was to come, I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

~Four hours later~

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to start our descent in preparation for landing, please make sure your tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is properly placed under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins.” I heard the Flight Attendant announce over the PA. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 10:30pm. I slept throughout the flight? I must be pretty exhausted. I thought to myself.  Or, you must be trying to escape from reality. My mind sarcastically quipped.

I fastened my seatbelt and double checked that my bag was secured under the seat. A few minutes later I heard the Flight Attendant’s voice over the PA saying, “Ladies and Gentlemen: We have just landed at the Los Angeles International Airport and we are now taxiing to the LAX Terminal 7. Welcome to Los Angeles. For your safety, please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until the fasten seatbelt sign has been switched off. Please do not remove your carry-on baggage until the aircraft has come to a full stop. Before deplaning, however, may we remind you to check your seating area for any items you might leave onboard. On behalf of United Airlines, Captain PJ Nelly, First Officer Shamlei Jung, this has been Kat, together with Aira, Patricia, QueenAnne, Theresa and Julia, thanking you for flying with us. It was indeed a pleasure to have you onboard and we hope to see you again soon on one of your future flights.”

As soon as the fasten seatbelt sign was switched off i unfastened my seatbelt, grabbed my bag and bolted to the exit. I scurried to claim my baggage and then darted toward the exit. I flagged down a cab and immediately told him to drive me to the hospital in the fastest way he can. 

~End of Jessica’s POV~

~

~Phillip’s POV~

“Are you in pain?” Hannah asked as she noticed me grimacing. “A little… nothing I can’t handle.” I told her. She didn’t look convinced and stared at me. “I’m fine Hannah.” I appeased her. She nodded and continued playing words with friends on my phone. “What time is it?” I asked. She looked at her watch and said, “It’s 10 pm.” “What time was she supposed to arrive from Florida?” she asked. “She was supposed to be here 3 hours ago.” I said dejectedly. A knock on the door broke my train of thought. I saw my Doctor entering my room with a serious look on his face. “Is there something wrong?” I asked him. “I got your X-ray result and I have some bad news.” He said.

“We need to sedate you prior to the operation because some stones have traveled to your ureter and the pain you feel now is going to increase in severity until we remove those stones.” My surgeon informed me. “By sedate you mean I’ll sleep it off?” I asked. “Yes, you’ll either be half awake or asleep. We’re just going to subdue your mind from emitting pain signals to your body.” He explained. “We do need someone to accompany you. It’s not really risky to be sedated but it’s better to have someone stay with you.” He added. “Should I call your sister?” Hannah asked me. I shook my head. My frustration started building up as I remembered that my sister was supposed to be here but I told her that someone else was going to accompany me. That certain someone decided not to show up or even offer an explanation why she couldn’t be here. “I’ll accompany him.” I heard Hannah say. “You don’t have to do that Hannah.” I told her. “Silly, there’s no one else here but me so why wouldn’t I offer to do it?” she said and smiled. She looked at the Doctor and firmly said. “I’ll stay with him until his parents arrive.”

“Thank you.” I told Hannah after the Doctor left. “Just because we broke up doesn’t mean that you’re no longer a part of my life, P.” she said then gave me a huge hug. “I still love you.” She whispered in my ear then leaned in for a kiss.

~End of Phillip’s POV~

~End of Chapter 14~