Wishes On A Falling Star: Part Two

I sat against the wall glaring at my schedule, humming to myself trying to work up a new song in my head. I was missing first period music lab on my first day. I already had a great start on first impression I thought glumly. I opened my mouth to sing as a line popped in my head but instead I heard someone else's singing voice off in the distance, in place of mine. "And this is my time, my time..." those were the words to one of my songs. I about cried with joy as I jumped into an upright position, I'm saved! I ran into the hallway where I saw a mousey looking brunet dancing down the empty hall by herself, continuing to sing my song, oblivious to my presence.

"Hey!" I called running toward her "Hey wait up! I am so lost!" The girl froze when she saw me, stopping dead in her tracks. She slowly raised her hand to point at me and opened in mouth as if she were going to speak. "Are... are you okay?" I asked unsure if I should call a doctor... or a physiatrist.

"You're.... You're" her face lit up as she made recognition to my identity.

"Yes, I'm me, and me is lost to you know where room 201 is?" I asked her hoping she would recuperate and become the cool, under control, person I needed. Instead she just kept starring at me mutter who I was over and over. "Hey look I really need to get to class..." I started pointing over my shoulder.

"Oh I can show you!" she said raising her hand as far in the air as it would reach "Pick me! Pick me!" I smiled, she was acting like she was 10.

"Fine, I pick you." I said pointing to her "Now can you show me where my class is." She squealed and jumped up and down.

"Come on" she said grabbing my arm as she ran in the direction of my class. A moment later we were stopped infront of an open brown door. "This is it." She motioned to the door dramatically.

"Thanks." I said as I stepped throught the door "Oh" I looked back at her "Name?" I asked. She looked like she was about to faint.

"S-S-Sara" she stuttered excited. I nodded and smiled and walked through the door. I turned to examine the large room in front of me. I eyed the outdated recording equipment, the small laptops, the old pianos; this place is a wreck. The room bustled with students working on various instruments, reading music theory books, and playing around with the laptops, all of them in pairs. I looked toward a big brown desk with a slightly balding old man sitting behind it; he looked promising. I strutted toward the desk, feeling better about myself the second I saw heads turn as I passed them. I walked to the desk and tapped lightly on the wood trying to get the teachers attention. He was focused on his book and didn't notice. I cleared my throat, still nothing.

"Hey Mr. Canfield" someone said from behind me. Mr. Canfield mhmed without looking up. "I don't have a partner." I turned around to look at the sorry soul who was stuck by himself and groaned.

"Brilliant." I muttered looking back toward the, still-reading Mr. Canfield. His eyes shot up from his book and he stared at me.

"You're late Miss. Reese. I expect it wont happen again?" he asked. Jeeze don't I get a break? It's my first day for heavens sake.

"Sure, let's go with that." I mumbled "What am I supposed to do?" I asked

"Well from the looks of it Mr. Hoffman doesn't have a partner. He can explain things to you." He said beginning to read is book again. I sighed in frustration; I just wanted him to explain what we were doing. I turned around and faced Jesse who had fire burning in his eyes. He clearly wasn't thrilled with this partnership either. He started walking toward a shelf of music theory books and I took that as my que to follow.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as he walked quickly away from me.

"The project." He shrugged picking up one of the books.