- Twenty Four: Mocked by Walls -

Eran

The wall stood there, where it always had, mocking me. Mocking me as it had for years now, as it always will. The constantly interchanging bubbles swirled on the face of the wall, but my eyes stayed glued to one.

Riley Brun.

Even the very name sends waves of nausea over me. Brun. Her father's name.

My eyes still held on the bubble that glowed interchangeably between green, blue, white and red. It had done nothing to me, but still the thought of sinking claws into the enchanted stone still proved to be ever so tempting.

"Eran?" I broke my trance as I turned to see Wondla standing at the door to the History Room, "Everything okay?"

"Yes. Fine." I said, faking a smile and turning back to face the wall.

"Don't lie to me."

I turned again in surprise at the sharpness to her voice.

I must have looked confused, because she continued, "I've known you for years. I know when you're lying."

She sauntered over and put her arm around my chest, giving me a half hug or sorts. "How about a bath?" She asked, leaning in close to my ear so the words were merely a breath.

Though the thought was intriguing, it wasn't the same. She wasn't the same.

"No." I said sternly before being sucked back into a flashback, "Leave me."

Wondla didn't take the hint. She still stood there way too close to me and my irritation flared.

"But you look so sexy." She purred, poking out her bottom lip in mock sadness.

Before Wondla had time to react I twisted her thin body into a headlock. She hissed and I felt claws sink into my back as I leaned close to her ear, "If you have forgotten, I am your Head. Leave me."

She stumbled out of the room in both surprise and anger. I didn't care.

"Wait!" I shouted after her.

Immediately she poked her head through the door again, "Yes?"

"Lift the enchantment." I ordered, pointing at the wall.

"But you said-"

"I know what I said! And now I'm saying to lift it!" I boomed, my frantic voice echoing through room.

Without any further hesitation Wondla placed her hands on the wall, closed her eyes and began muttering words.

"Et auferam de maledicto. Et auferam de maledicto." She repeated over and over until finally the blank space above the bubble began to contort.

The rock made cracking and hissing sounds as it protested being controlled by something other then the elements. Finally, however, the erased bubbles began to take shape above Riley Brun.

Dawn Accardi and Josh Brun.