- Two: Bitten -

- Two: Bitten -

Another two days passed with no sign of the mystery man. I had begun to think maybe he was homeless and was just looking for a dry place from the storm two nights before. Nevertheless, I was happy to be rid of the feeling of unease he brought.

I sat on the bus stop bench he had stood next to as I waited for the number 5 bus which would take me to my aunt's home.

As a young child, my parents had been killed in a severe car accident that I was fortunate to survive. Some days I asked myself if it was a miracle or curse that I had lived on without them. Anyway, it read in their will that if anything were to ever happen to them, that my Aunt Kim would take me in. Ever since, she had raised me, along with her younger son and my only cousin, Adam.

The bus headlights glared around the corner of a brick building as a rumble of thunder threatened rain in the distance. I began placing my homework back in my backpack when something hard slammed into my side and I crashed to the pavement.

"What the hell!" I yelled at whatever force it was.

Before I reacted further, a firm hand gripped my shoulder and hoisted me up, slinging me into an alley between the book store and our neighboring shop. At an attempt to run, I spun around but was tripped. My ankle twisted to an abnormal angle which made me crash to the pavement for a third time.

Everything seemed to freeze there for a moment, as I stared at the brick wall with my head lying on the pavement. I watched a raindrop hit the ground before I was hoisted up and pinned against the wall of the alley.

"Stop fighting," a husky voice hissed, "you can't win."

Denying his words, I used the opportunity to slam my leg in between his. He dropped me to the cement as a yelp escaped and he grasped his manhood in pain. That was all I saw before turning and running back down the alley.

"Help!" I called as I noticed the bus had passed the stop without me. I didn't know who I was calling to if the bus was gone and the shops were closed.

"Riley!" The man screamed from behind me as he half ran, half limped behind me. I had kicked him harder than I thought.

I looked back again just in time to see the man, illuminated by the orange street lamp that had clicked on. He was maybe around twenty, with eyes so grey that they reminded me of dead fish. His mouth twisted into a face of determination as he gripped the collar of my shirt and pushed me against the glass of a closed business.

"I was going to offer the easy way," he said, "but you've gotten that option revoked. Riley, let's make this easy. It's getting dark so we'll need to be going."

I squirmed to get free, ignoring the fact that the man knew my name, but it was no use. I didn't know what this man intended for me, but whatever it was I wanted no part in. I quickly surveyed the area around me.

I noticed my boot heel stood just above his left foot. If I could gain enough momentum, I could bring the pain. Using every ounce of energy I had left, I slammed my heel down and dug into his foot. Again, he let out a cry of pain and his grasp faltered. I darted away and down another alley and tried the doors.

Finally finding one unlocked, I mentally thanked whatever employee neglected to lock up and ducked inside. It was quiet, except for the occasional sound of scratching. I turned to see that I had escaped into the pet shop. Avoiding the windows, I ducked down an isle which was rowed with large cages holding dogs. They were on alert at my arrival, but thankfully didn't make a sound.

I crouched at the end of the isle and waited. I didn't bother grabbing a weapon because I knew I wouldn't be able to stop the man a third time. He would look for me and find me, and whatever happened I had no control over. In my head I began to silently say goodbye to my aunt and cousin, and sent a message to wherever my parents were alerting them that I would see them soon.

The sound of glass shattering broke through my thoughts and sent my heart soaring into my throat. The dogs began throwing fits, growling and snapping, and yet no other animals seemed effected.

I looked up over the isle just as the man grabbed my wrist and began hoisting me up. A sharp pain went through my wrist which rocketed down my arm and spread through my body like wildfire.

Burning pain and a ringing sensation in my damaged ear were all I knew before I fell into darkness.