- Eight: Homecoming -

I trotted through the woods with Dom, Nick and David, who were all walking ahead of me and talking about things I couldn't understand. I noticed Dom whisper something to Nick and David and I squinted my eyes in suspicion.

A second later all three boys burst into a run. I was startled by the sudden movement but my brain had already told my feet to start moving. The sensation of being in a convertible overtook me as I put on another burst of speed.

The forest passed in a blur around me. Mixtures of greens and browns, with occasional blue, passed in streaks along my peripheral vision. All of my scenes were on overload, and yet didn't seemed bothered by all of the new things they were apparently capable of doing. I closed my eyes and drank in the experience.

My eyes snapped open just in time to see someone's back coming into view quickly and realization dawned that I wouldn't be able to stop in time. Digging my heals into the dirt proved useless as my face slammed into Dom's back.

We landed on the ground with a thud. I sat there a minute in a daze before I realized I was now practically laying on top of him. Scrambling to my feet, my cheeks caught on fire. Nick whistled sarcastically and Dom slapped him in the back of the head.

The three boys walked towards the shack and inside. I remained where I was in the field surrounding, and turned to look at the forest behind me. Somewhere beyond it, the little family I had left was probably worried sick about me. If I ran now, could I make it back to a public place? I asked myself.

"I wouldn't try that." I heard a voice whisper in my ear. I jumped back in surprise and whipped around to see Dom standing there.

"Try what?" I asked, playing dumb.

"Running." Dom replied as if he had read my mind, "Eran would send a party after you."

I gulped and let Dom lead me back to the shack entrance. Inside, Nick and David were standing around something in the floor. I shifted to see a large silver disc lay in the floor with markings carved into it.

"What does that mean?" I asked, curiosity getting the best of me as I pointed at the marks.

"It translates from Egyptian hieroglyphics to 'Creatures of the Night'." David replied. As he said this, he knelt down close to the disc and circled a finger around the outer layer once. The disc seemed to pop loose and Nick pulled it up, setting it aside.

"To enter the Compound, you have to sharpen the nail into a claw on your index finger and circle it counterclockwise once. I'll teach you that later." Dom said behind me. I was confused, but didn't question. I was too tired to question.

"Newbie goes down first." Nick chuckled, gesturing to the dark hole. Even in the dimly lit shack I could still see his pink eyes were bright with glee.

"So Riley, are you allergic to cats?" He asked from behind me.

"No, not yet." I answered. All three boys began to laugh.

Gingerly I made my way to the hole and peered down curiously. The depth was dark except for the hint of a spiral staircase descending. I turned to look at the shack door once more before taking the first step down.