Chapter 3: Midnight Thoughts

Rose couldn't sleep. It might have had something to do with the moonlight shining directly on her face, or the fact that she had been transported thirty years in the past. It may have even been about an annoying blonde boy that Rose couldn't seem to get off of her mind. It was definitely that annoyingly charming blonde.

Rose and Scorp had always been best mates, it had been that way since they first met one another on the train. Rose had been set on hating him, but it just hadn't worked out that way.

He'd been sitting quietly in a compartment, across from a group of Gryffindor boys who looked like they were in fifth year. They had been teasing him, calling him a death eater, but Scorp didn't say anything, figuring it'd be better to keep his mouth shut. Rose had heard them and without a second thought, she stepped in the compartment and scared the bullies off. Before Scorp could object, Rose had sat across from him with Al following her league. 

"Hi. I'm Rose Weasley." She had said, sticking out her hand, whilst sending him a goofy grin that she had hoped was friendly. 

Scorp stared at her hesitantly. He had just witnessed that small freckled girl, scream at his tormentors and now she was offering him her hand. He had to admit that he was frightened of her and a little amazed, but mostly amazed. Ever so slowly he accepted her hand. 

"Hi, I'm Scorpius Malfoy."

"And I'm Albus Potter." Al added, waving at Scorp.

From there, their fate was sealed. It was uncommon to see the trio without one another. They ate together, studied together, and simply spent their time enjoying one another's company.

They had a pattern and it worked for them, but over the course of their 6th year things had begun to change. Al had gotten himself a girlfriend, who he spent most of his time with, leaving Rose and Scorp alone for most of the year. 

It had never bothered Rose to spend time with Scorp. Secretly, she loved when her and Scorp got to spend time alone. They got to talk about quidditch, something that they couldn't do with Al around. Besides talking about quidditch, they acted like they always did when Al was around. They bickered and laughed like they always did, but something that was different, was the butterflies Rose felt in her stomach when Scorp looked at her. His silver eyes always had the ability to make her melt and without Al around, she and Scorpius seemed to have those moments a lot more frequently. 

She fancied him. She wasn't naive enough to think she didn't, because she knew without a doubt she did. And he fancied her. She knew it. He had told her so, but there was still one major problem—he didn't care enough. He'd proven that on the pitch. 

So Rose lay in her bed next to Lily who had begun to snore softly, and thought about that fateful day. The day that had caused her and Scorp to get into their argument. This argument wasn't like the others. It consumed them. It was all they did, argue. They didn't laugh together anymore and being in the same room alone together was almost unbearable. Rose couldn't help it, she was so hurt that anytime he walked in the room she couldn't think straight. She was so blinded with her anger that all she could seem to do was lash out at him. 

Rose sighs deeply with regret and turns over on her side, blocking the moonlight from her face and shutting off her thoughts about him.

***

I've got three kids. I marry Ginny. I've got three kids. I marry Ginny.

Over and over again the same thoughts come to Harry as he fails to grasp with reality or what his reality would be in thirty years.

I've got three kids.

He was a good dad. That is what they told him.

I marry Ginny and have three kids.