Chapter 11

I went straight home. Why did I storm out  of his house like a three year old? Because he hid something from me. Something very important from me. Who would do that? Someone who doesn't care would be the one that would do that.

     Ha. This is just ridiculous. I trusted him. Why would he hide this from me? What? Was he afraid I'd be mad at him because of it? Ugh. Well I'm pretty mad now.

     I finally got to my house and my mom was lounging on the couch watching some TV show. I plopped down next to her and she smiled over at me.

     "Honey, when should we go?" She asked me quietly. Her voice was cracking from crying so much,

     "Well, we have to do it sooner or later, so we might as well just go now." I replied as I took a deep breath and pulled out my vibrating cell phone.

     "I'm not in any condition to drive, honey."

     "That's what I'm here for." I said as I stuck my tongue out at her playfully.

     She accepted the offer and got up off the couch. It took her a while, but she managed to make her way out to the car. We both got in and I drove the ten mile drive over to the police station. The whole ride was dead silent.

     We shut the car doors and headed up to the station doors. The foyer was empty except for a few chairs here and there and a nice, handsome looking man sitting at the desk. We walked over towards him.

     I put my hands, with my keys, on the desk. My mother went and sat down in one of the seats. I believe she was gathering herself together before she had to see him.

     "Well hello there," the handsome desk worker said. "How may I help you?" He finishes with a smile. His green eyes were just inviting and they made you feel calm.

     "I'm Elle, and that's my mother, Scarlet." I said as I pointed my thumb over my shoulder. "We received a letter in the mail today asking us to come down to the station to identify a body." I said rather calmly.

     "Let me guess... you're the Hardings?"

     "Your guess would be correct." I replied with a wicked smile.

     "Right this way, ma'am." He said as he pushed open the door behind him and led me and my mother through it.

     We walked down a quiet hallway with many doors on either side of the walls. There were decorative plants spread out here and there, along with a few chairs as well.

     He led is down to the fourth door on the left, which read: MORGUE. My mother was quietly weeping as we made our way through the doors.

     The kind desk worker then came in after us. "Hey, Mr. Andrews, the Hardings are here about the body." And with that, he just left.

     "Ah, Mrs. Harding and daughter. How are you today?" The man, Mr. Andrews asked.

     "My name is Elle..." I said quietly.

     "My apologies, Elle." He respond sarcastically.

     "We're getting by." I snapped back.

     "That's good to hear."

     "Can we just get this over with?" My mother asked quietly as she made her way towards him.

     He nodded and he led us over towards a wall. It was silver and had four feet by four feet square doors all over it. He walked down towards the end. He opened one labeled 'G. Harding'.