Chapter o4

I woke up to the buzzing of my alarm clock telling me to get ready for school. I stayed up too late texting with Derek. I groggily got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to take a quick shower.

When I was finished, I went to my room and put on a pink polo shirt and a pair of jeans. I don't know why everyone cares that they look their best on the first day of school, I honestly don't care. I quickly brushed through my hair, braided it, and put my makeup on.

I went down stairs and grabbed a bowl for some cereal. I ate my breakfast. My phone rang and it was Cara telling me she was here. We carpool together everyday. I grabbed my book bag and went out to Matt's car. I never liked Matt. He was always so mean to me, but I've tried to deal with him because he makes Cara happy. I've never done anything mean to him, I just think he knows that Cara likes me better. I laughed. I got to the car and hopped in the back seat.

"Elle!" Cara screamed. "I've missed you so much!" She said as she turned completely around in her seat.

"I've missed you too Cara." I said as I got buckled. I smiled at her and put my bag on the seat next to me.

"Turn around, Cara. Always face forwards, it's safer." Matt said snappily.

Cara rolled her eyes and didn't listen. She jokingly punched him.

I sighed. "Yeah, hi Matt, nice to see you too," I said to try to let him know he was being a jerk.

"Hmm." Matt said back to me.

Cara butt in and turned to him as we turned down the street to head to our school. "Matt, stop it. She's just trying to be nice."

"Okay," he said back.

"Sorry, Elle. It must be his time of the month." Cara said as she winked at me.

I laughed as we got to the school's parking lot. Matt didn't think it was very funny and he glared at me in the rear view mirror. I grabbed my bag and hopped out of the car. I turned around to wait for Cara, but she was kissing Matt. I rolled my eyes and decided to just keep walking.

I walked to the office to get my schedule. I looked it over quickly, and found my first period class. It was Physics. I shoved the paper in my pocket and started heading for my locker. It was locker 131. On my way to my locker, I ran into Cara.

"Hey, did you get your schedule?" she asked.

"Yeah, first period is Physics with Ms. Fields," I said as I stuck up my nose. Don't get me wrong, Mrs. Fields is a great teacher, she's just really old and gets off topic really easily. She has the attention span of a goldfish. 

She handed me her schedule to look over and we only had three classes together; English, Calculus, and History. We put our things in our lockers then sat down at a table outside to wait for the bell to ring. 

"So what were you so busy with this weekend that you couldn't hang out with me?" Cara asked. 

Should I tell her the truth? I pondered for a bit and decided not to tell her. I didn't want to jinx it, you know? "I was really busy unpacking and I just needed a break before school to relax," I told her.

"Fair enough," she said as our other friend, Toby, came to sit with us. 

"So Elle, how was your trip to California?" Toby asked as I laid my head on his shoulder and yawned. Toby an I have been friends since the first grade.

"Okay, I guess. I'm just glad I'm back," I replied.

"I wish Matt was still here," Cara said in a groggy voice.