The Summoning: Ch. 40

(The night of the escape from Lyle House. Derek is changing when he is caught by Chloe, who came to find him while Simon and Rae went on ahead.)

It was hot, too hot. I kicked the covers off me and heard the slide of cotton as they hit the floor. My hearing was too sensitive, my eyes too focused. My skin brushing against the sheet made me wince.

Everywhere hurt; my muscles, my bones.

I tried to ignore it, forcing myself to cling to hope; hope that it wouldn't be tonight, that I'd have a few more days...

My back arched off the bed, I suppressed the yelp that climbed up my throat. Pure, icy terror shot through me.

I dragged myself upright, wincing as my feet hit the floor. Simon was still asleep, covers pulled up to his chin.  The watch... I yanked it off my wrist, placing it on his pillow so it would wake him up.

I stumbled to the door, gripping my stomach. I could make it outside..i could.

The hurt got worse as i reached the stairs. I tried to breath through it, gritting my teeth at the ache.

Finally reaching the front door, i punched in the code and threw it open.

A brutal wave of agony shot through me, nearly tearing a scream out of my mouth. I forced myself to put one leg in front of the other, desperately trying to make it to the shed.  Another wave, this one threatening to put me under. My knees buckled and i fell, crawling the last few feet until the shed blocked me from view.

On my hands and knees, vomit made it's way up my throat. I gagged, scared beyond all relief.

My muscles rippled, my body trying to re-arrange itself.

I gagged more, but there was nothing left to come up, only a ragged sound.

"Derek? It's Chloe."

No. No no no no no. She couldn't see me like this. No one could see me like this.

"Go away." I forced the words out, my voice barely human. The words tasted bitter, and the growl was clearly audible.

I heard her footsteps as she came closer, even as i hung my head to stop her from seeing me.

"Simon's gone. I convinced him to go on ahead while i found-"

I didn't hear the rest. My back arched again, and i dug my nails into the soil to stop myself from toppling. A sound escaped me, loud enough for Chloe to have heard.

"You found me. Now go."

I panted, sweat dripping from me as the spasm finally passed. She needed to leave. Now.  She stepped closer, saying things i couldn't concentrate on. Why was she still here? My skin felt stretched thin over my bones.

"Go!" I growled, lifting my head just a little so i could see her through one eye.

She staggered back, and i dropped my head, shutting my eyes.

My bones felt weak, ready to snap and change at any moment. I moaned, the sound turning to a whimper as my back cracked. I tried not to force too much weight onto my already-weak arms, but i couldn't help it.

A light shading of black fur began to appear, dusting my skin as i stared in horror.

What if I can't change? What if I get stuck halfway-

Panic clouded my head..

"Derek, I-"

My spine seem to try realigning, forcing my back to once again arch. The pain was so intense-