The Reckoning: Ch. 27

(Chloe spoke to the ghost of Dr.Banks and had to fight him off after he attempted to enter her body in order to stop the Edison group and kill all of the subjects.)

Something was wrong with Chloe. I wanted to corner her and demand an explanation about what just happened downstairs but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

She looked exhausted, like she hadn't had a goodnight's sleep in months. Whatever Dr. Banks had done, it'd left her with dark circles under her eyes which were growing by the second.

Andrew and Margaret were sat at the head of the table with Simon, Tori and Chloe on chairs across from them. The hair at the back of my neck was tingling and the shiver down my spine concluded that sitting down would be a bad idea. I felt restless. Instead, i stood beside Chloe.

As Margaret rambled on about how we were "more than they could handle" and Andrew tried to assure us that it was alright and it wasn't our fault - clearly - I kept my focus on Chloe. Her heart was beating too fast, and I inhaled a faint trace of fear in her scent when i breathed in. Fear of what though, I have no idea.

Ignoring the bullshit the adults were saying about us, I grabbed a glass out of the cupboard and filled it from the tap. Thinking it would wake her up a bit, I grabbed the icecube tray and made a mental note to thank Simon for refilling it earlier when I hadn't bothered to.

"We aren't just going to hand you off to strangers, obviously. We want to find someone who you're familiar with. Chloe, did your Aunt give you any indication of where she would be if she got out?"

I walked back over and held the cold glass out in front of her. She was staring at it, but not seeing it.

"Chloe? Did you hear what I said?" Margaret, being her usual sensitive self, asked.

She snapped out of it and gave me a little smile of thanks as she took the glass.

"She...Um... N-no, she didn't. Sorry."

She sipped the drink and looked away, her eyes becoming unfocused again. Not knowing what was wrong with her was killing me. My hackles were raised and I really hoped no one would ask me any questions.

Margaret continued to grill Chloe, who answered in a quiet voice until the older woman ran out of questions and dismissed the lot of us from the room. I followed Chloe out and watched as she sank into an armchair. Within seconds of her eyes closing, she was asleep.

I stared at her for longer than I should've, finally becoming aware that Simon had stopped next to me.

"Is she okay?" His voice was filled with concern.

I shrugged, not in the mood to talk. He said something else but the words didn't register so I didn't respond. He walked off, and i was left alone in the room with a sleeping Chloe.

I went to grab the drink that she'd left in the kitchen and placed it down next to her. There was a blanket on the back of the sofa, so I brought it over to her and tucked her in, careful not to touch her. She looked so small, curled up in the big armchair. A thousand thoughts filled my head, cravings to feel if her hair was as soft as it looked. I forced myself to back away and not scoop her up like i wanted to. I'd be so easy to sit down on the armchair and sit her on my lap. Bringing her in as i pulled the blanket back over us and let her cuddle closer-

I had to stop thinking like this or it was going to get me killed. She wasn't mine to cuddle. I couldn't kiss her or touch her or know what it'd feel like to be looked at the way I sometimes caught myself looking at her.

I sat on the couch that i had gotten the blanket off of and sat staring at the door. The way I was trying, and failing, not to feel about her didn't matter; protecting her did. So I sat on the couch doing nothing, just making sure she was safe.

I didn't know she was awake at first, but I know I should've said something when I realised. Instead, i waited for her to speak. When enough time passed and we still sat in silence, i turned to look at her and caught her staring. She looked away, cheeks burning. I frowned, why would she stare at me?

After some stupid comment about lunchtime I finally asked the questions that were driving me insane.

"You okay?"

She nodded.

"You want to talk about what happened downstairs? With Banks?"

Again, she nodded. That was easy - I thought i'd have to bully her into it like usual.

She kept looking at me with a thousand thoughts flying through her eyes. I couldn't be alone with her for much longer.

"I should get Simon, he'll want to know."

I told myself i should get up now and go get him, that it was for the best, but i couldn't make myself move. Just this one last time and then I'd force the feelings deep down inside the hole that was my heart.

"Chloe." Saying her name felt better than anything else ever had.

She looked up at me slowly, unsure. She bit her lip and I had the smallest hope that maybe, just maybe, she was thinking the same thing I was.

"Chloe?"

Her hands started to tremble. Her eyes flashed and the shaking meant the glass she still held tipped over, splashing her with water. She fumbled, desperately trying to catch the glass behind it hit the ground and smashed. Before i knew it, i was on my knees next to her. I tugged the glass out of her fingers and placed it down safely on the table. Our faces were close, a lot closer than they should have been. In my head, I said a few choice words.

Something in her eyes made me feel like it would be a good idea to just lean forward a little bit... just a little. Just a taste and then she'd realise she was disgusted and this would never happen again. Just a little...

"What'd you lose?"

Simon's voice jarred me out of it. Chloe and I shot to our feet instantly like school children caught by the teacher doing something we shouldn't.

I made sure I didn't look at Chloe and could feel her doing exactly the same.

"What were you looking for? Not your necklace, I hope."

Simon joked as he walked into the room, and while i was incredibly grateful for his presence, a small part of me wanted to growl at him.

I stuffed my hands in my pockets, trying to snuff out the urge while Chloe stuttered about dropping the glass.

Rather than doing the thing I'd been waiting for hours for her to do - explain what the hell happened in the basement - she said she was going to go change her pants. I watched as she walked away and couldn't help it,

"Chloe?"

She turned back and I could've sworn that she wanted me to find a way to come with her. I desperately searched my brain for an excuse but now, of all times, it came up blank.

"You want an apple or something? I'll grab it while you're getting changed." I mumbled instead.

If i didn't know any better I'd say her face fell, and she nodded an affirmative before going upstairs. Ignoring Simon, and hoping like hell he didn't read anything into it, I stalked off to the kitchen.

Now I'd done it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hai everyone ^-^

I'm so sorry for the incredibly long time it's been since I've last updated ;-;

I saw that a lot of people were asking last chapter for this scene so... here you go :) (A big thank you and  shoutout to Child_o_Childflutterdreamherondalehottiebianca3000 and bmtt734 !)

Please enjoy and again, I'm sorry for such a long wait!