Chapter Fifteen: Wishing on a Dying Dandelion

Broken Hearts & Lonely Stars:

Chapter Fifteen: Wishing on a Dying Dandelion

          Every child expects the world to be what people had told them in stories. Adventurous, rid of monsters, and candy everywhere. A simple lie to make children feel safe once they step out that threshold of their home. But in reality, the world is cruel. Women fearing the night as they strode through the streets, alert of all sounds. Children fearing unknown strangers, debating to accept the bribery they're being offered. Men fearing their wife and children each day once they leave their families for work.

Reality literally slapped me across the face once my father told me I was nothing but a disgrace. Reality was never soothing like a mother was with her children. Reality was a bitch to me. Each turn I made, something stopped me or pushed me to the limit to throw punches. My anger was always contained even if they pushed my buttons. My hatred towards Douchebag Danny or my father would always ignite the fire inside of me just by the simplest thoughts, it was always tamed.

As I watched her sitting on the steps outside the hospital, her wary expression deepening, I felt a tug pull me towards her. My body on its own accord approached her, my heart slowly pounding indifferently than its usual beat. My palms becoming sweaty as I set myself down beside her, pulling out a cigarette and slipping it between my lips while I felt her gaze on me. Fishing for my lighter, I gazed at the view before me: A pathetic looking street with only stores of meaningless merchandise being sold while cars passed by, neither stopping to pick up this beautiful girl beside me.

I finally found my lighter and sparked it to life, ready to inhale the toxins of my cigarette but my eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, the absence of the cigarette between my lips made me realize that it might have fell. As I glanced at the ground and saw nothing, my only answer was her.

I looked at her...well, more like glared at her as she crumpled up my cigarette in her hand and threw it to the ground. "What. The. Hell."

She returned her very own glare at me, those gray orbs brewing a silent argument in them, defying me whether I should challenge her. "Cigarettes are bad. Do you want to get lung cancer too?"

"I don't really care," I mumbled and suddenly flinched when her anger filled voice rang in my ears.

"What do you mean you don't really care?! Are you in a suicidal phase that you want to kill yourself already?! Are you that low of a person to leave everyone who loves you behind over your own selfish reasons?!"

I pulled my beanie down even more as I covered my face with my hands. Just like before, this girl could read me than others. She saw through my heartless facade, ripping away all the walls I put up, seeing something no one had ever laid their eyes on. Something I protected my whole life.

"You saw one reason why," I whispered, feeling pathetic and not able to look her directly in the eyes and lie to her that there were no reasons at all. What she heard was imagined but the way my voice cracked in the way, I realized I was breaking. Breaking into a weak idiot!

I felt her soothing touch rub against my back in circles and it somewhat made my skin tingle. I hated this feeling. I hardly knew this girl but since that day back in high school when we bumped into each other, I couldn't forget her. Figments of her were glued to my mind and I realized that I slept with girls that had her very features. Bridget had similar pink lips like her. Samantha had that mysterious innocence in her when I met her just like her. Images of the past girls I've slept with flashed in my mind, seeing the familiarities they had with this girl.