All's Well That Ends Well

Ash and Mary decided to walk through the gardens. A ways in Ash stopped and pointed.

"That was where we first met."

"It feels like it was so long ago."

"Two years is a long time."

"A lot's changed."

"And changed again. And again."

"That's how life works, things change, it's good, right?"

"I don't know, my change hurt a lot of people."

"But it led to another change that's helping so many more, don't question who you are Mary. All of us make mistakes, as long as we can learn from them, they help us grow."

"I guess."

"What would you think about another change."

"What kind of change?" Mary asked as Ash reached into his back pocket. He took her hand in his and moved to stand in front of her. Sheepishly he took to one knee and help the small black box out to her.

"I don't have a last name I could give you, but we could make one of our own."

Mary put her hands over her mouth as he opened the box. It was a silver band with small diamonds decorating the top half, all leading to a larger centered diamond.

"What do you say?"

Meriddion started to cry. Immediately Ash stood to comfort her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

She shook her head.

"I can't think of anything better than a life with you, I don't deserve you Ash."

"Mary, I'm yours. I have been for a long time, and I don't mean legally bound to be. I may not have chosen it, but it doesn't make my feelings any less real. I love you Mary, And I always will. Please Mary, will you be mine?"

She nodded. Ash smiled and slipped the ring onto her finger.

"I'm yours, and you're mine."

"I love you, Ash."

Rather than speaking, he leaned down to place a kiss on her lips. The moonlight framed their intertwined figures as they made the decision to no longer be two, but to create the unbreakable bond of becoming one. Meriddions and Ash's love story is the last one anyone in the new world would believe, but that doesn't make their love any less true. Born of adversity and of pain, developing through trials and tribulations, two were able to come together. The tattoo that once defined everything no longer did. As Meriddion looked into Ash's eyes she knew that it had never mattered. The history books were wrong, the tattoo didn't make a difference.