Figment of Imagination

A knock on his door pulled him out of the deep thoughts he had been having.  It slowly opened and Meriddion peeked her head through the opening.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"So we're going to watch a movie, you want to watch?"

"Uh, sure."

He got up to follow her out to the theatre, but stopped when his curiosity got the better of him.

"Where's Cameron?"

"What?"

"Cameron, your boyfriend, if you've really changed then why isn't he here?"

"Oh, Cameron. look that's kind of a long story."

"I've got time."

"Uh, okay."  She turned to call down the hall. "Go ahead and start without us."

She slowly into Ash's room and leaned against the wall.

"So?"

"When I left last year I didn't want to live anymore.  So I decided that I would try to find my Uncle Daniel. He convinced me that it was worth going on."

"Then what?"

"I decided to look for Cameron.  I hadn't seen him since that day with Cece so I thought he must be out there somewhere."

"Are you still looking for him?"

"No."

"Why not? He's obviously not here."

"And he won't ever be Ash!"

"Why not?"

"Because he's dead."

Ash stared blankly at her, could she really be telling the truth?

"When did he die?"

"Three years ago."

"What?"

"That's what's on the death certificate."

"But I just saw him not a year ago."

"No, you didn't see him.  And I didn't either."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean it was a figment of my imagination, and of yours."

"No, I can't believe it."

"Well, believe it. I thought the same thing you did. Daniel took me to a doctor he was so worried.  Apparently it's a medical condition. When a person is really stressed out or overtired or even suicidal your mind goes into self-provision mode and creates hallucinations, like Cameron, to keep alive."

"No."

"Ash, what did Cameron look like?"

"Redheaded boy, tall, tan, blue eyes."

"Cam had brown hair, he wasn't much taller than me, and he had the most beautiful brown eyes," Tears dripped down Meriddion's cheeks. "It wasn't Cameron you met.  It was someone that your head made up, and mine did too, the second time at least.  That's why I never saw him again after that day."

"So you mean-"

"Yeah, Ash.  Cameron is dead."