A Long Drive to Watch the Sunset

When Meriddion woke Rylan was missing. The blankets were nicely folded, pillows stacked atop them. She sat up in bed after seeing this and listened for any noise. It was early in the morning, the clock read 6 am. There was no conceivable reason for anyone in her home to be awake and it was rare that anyone was ever up and moving before 8:00. The house was silent. She rose from the bed, her hair tousled and threw a blanket around her shoulders. Even if she was in California, she grew easily cold. She opened the door silently and glanced around the loft, Rylan was not there. She moved slowly down the stairs and looked into the kitchen and the living room, both were empty. She ascended the second set of stairs to find the basement vacant as well.

With a sigh she knocked on Ash's door. Lightly at first then with a little more force. He opened it after a couple of moments, sleep still filling his eyes.

"Yes?"

"Is Rylan with you?"

"Who?"

"The new slave from the Ring, his name is Rylan. Is he with you?"

"No."

"Well then he's missing."

"Just a minute."

And he shut the door. Meriddion jumped back an inch at the sound but a moment later Ash reemerged with a jacket on.

"Let's go find him."

"You don't think he would have run away do you?"

"Maybe. He doesn't know this environment yet, most likely he thinks it's going to be just as terrible as the places he's been before."

"But it's not like that here."

"He doesn't know that. And why would he believe that that's the truth?"

Meriddion did not answer. She merely opened the back door and led the way onto the deck. There they found Rylan, sitting with his back against the house, knees against his chest, watching the sunrise. He looked up with surprise as the door opened. When he saw that it was his new mistress he shrunk back in fear.

"I-I'm sorry mistress."

"It's okay. I was just worried that you'd gotten hurt."

"What right have I to damage my mistress' property? I truly apologize for disturbing you."

He leaned forward and put his head between his knees. Meriddion took the blanket from her shoulders and draped it around his. He stiffened at her touch.

"It's a little chilly out here."

She let her hand linger a second before removing it and going back inside. Ash remained and took a seat next to the young man. Rylan glanced suspiciously at him as he sat but said nothing. This slave was Rylan's superior, and the newest addition to the household knew it. He wouldn't dare question what Ash was doing, that would only earn him a punishment. A short silence later Ash spoke.

"We all used to live in Georgia, with Mary's dad. He has one of the largest plantations in the country, the edge of it is on a hill right over the coast. Watching the sunrise over the water is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen."

"I've never seen the sea."

"We could probably catch the sunset this evening in San Diego."

"It is a long drive to watch a sunset."

"We have to go in anyway."

"What for?"

Ash shrugged.

"You can't live in one shirt and one pair of sweatpants. Mary asked if I could take care of it."

"Will she go as well?"

"No, she's busy today."

"Then how will we travel?"

"I'll drive us."

"Slaves can't drive."

"Mary lets us use the cars, nobody knows as long as we don't get caught."