Chapter 1: Knight of Gremory

*SirZechs POV*

"Looking for devils or humans to turn into devils is exhausting. On top of being the king of Hell," I muttered to myself, as I filled out paperwork.

"My lord! Apologies for the interruption, but I think I have found a suitable candidate for your second knight," my wife Grayfia told me.

"Oh? Where is this candidate, you speak of?" I asked her happy to get away from my work.

"He's currently in prison for the murder of his master," she told me.

"What makes you think he'd be loyal?" I asked her.

A stray?! Was she insane?!

"I spoke with the boy, well I did most of the speaking he just stayed curled up in the corner. Anyways taking a good look at him I knew that whoever his master was, deserved death," she told me.

"How can you be certain?" I asked her still skeptical.

"He told me one thing: 'Never again will I be the victim of malice.'," she told me.

I have to admit, I'm intrigued. If what Grayfia says is true, then I can't allow this boy to be executed. I'd also like to see his fighting skills up close and personal.

"Alright let's go talk to this boy," I told her getting away from my paperwork.

When we arrived at the jail cell he was being held in, I couldn't even see him, until I was face to face with him. I couldn't hear his inner thoughts and his eyes seemed so lifeless.

"My wife tells me, you killed your master. Why?" I asked him.

"He was a scumbag and deserved death," he told me.

"What's your name?" I asked him.

"If I had a name I don't remember it, but I was often called Aleron," he told me.

"You were a slave, weren't you?" I asked him.

"Never again will I submit to malice," he told me.

"I see. My wife also told me, you're skilled with a blade," I told him.

"Yes," he told me.

"Care to show me?" I asked him.

"I got nothing better to do," he told me standing up.

He seemed well built. Must've been a gladiator, or something like that.

Making it out to the courtyard, we were handed two wooden swords, and he immediately attacked. Catching me off guard at the suddenness of his attack, he was able to defeat me. Throwing the wooden sword to the ground and helping me up, we sat down on a bench nearby.

"How would you like to be part of my peerage?" I asked him.

"A what?" He asked me.

Explaining to him what it was, and its purpose I took caution as to avoid saying the word servant. He seemed very damaged, psychologically.

"You would be clothed properly, given plenty of food, a bed to sleep on, and a warm place to live in, so what do you say? Would you like to join my peerage, as my Knight?" I asked him.

He nodded.

"Excellent," I told him enacting the ceremony and fusing the knight chess piece within him. "Guards, this boy is now part of the Gremory household," I added.

"Of coarse sir," they told me.

Going to the enterance, my knight was given a sword. Most likely this was the same sword he used in the arena, and to kill his master.