Keep Holding On

The landing light flickered on, disturbing my thoughts. I looked at the clock to see that it was nearing two in the morning. Jamie must finally be home. Why did dad even let her stay out that late? she's only fifteen. I rolled out of bed and padded across the landing until I came to her room.

I knocked quietly on the door, hoping she would answer me.

"Who is it?" she called.

"Terri" I replied. I heard her sigh from across the room. I started to back away, seeing that she wasn't going to talk to me.

"Come in" I heard. I stopped in my tracks and turned back to her door. Really? she was going to talk to me after all! I smiled as I entered the room. It didn't look much like it had a few years ago, it was probably the room that had changed the most in the whole house.

She had deep red walls with purple curtains and bedsheets. There were posters of different male celebrities on one side of the room and a couple of paintings on the other side. I didn't know she painted.

She was sat on her bed, still avoiding my gaze as I looked around the room. I went to sit on her bed when I was done and she finally looked up at me.

"You look like her" she whispered. I knew instantly that she meant our mum. I gave her a sad smile.

"So do you. What's up J' why won't you come near me?" I asked quietly. She sighed again, looking away from me.

"You left me T, I didn't hear from you once and I was left in the middle of the mess" she said.

"I'm sorry Jamie, I didn't want to leave you" I said, reaching out for her hand.

"Then why did you?" she asked sadly.

"I needed to, I couldn't stay here after what happened. I'm so sorry J'" I said, a tear rolling down my face at the memory of that night. Jamie reached up to wipe the tear away.

"Stay with me tonight" she whispered, just like she used to when she was scared or upset. I nodded, pulling back her covers so that we could both get into the bed. I put my arm around her as if to show that I would protect her and slowly, we fell asleep.

*********************************************************

The room was bursting with light as I woke up. I turned to see Jamie blinking at the brightness beside me.

"Ow, what time is it?" she asked.

"Half ten. We forgot to close the curtains" I said, nodding towards the window.

"No. Really?!" she said sarcastically, shaking her head at me. I giggled, nudging her. She pushed me back, laughing when I hit my elbow on her bedside table. That freaking hurt!

"Game on bitch!" I yelled, pushing her harder. She fell to the floor with a massive thud, tears streamed down my face as I laughed at the shocked look on her face. She scowled at me before laughing along with me. I'd missed this.

"Girls, whats going on?" my dads voice sounded from the doorway. I turned, smiling at him.

"Jamie fell out of bed" I said with a grin. Dad shook his head before going downstairs, Jamie was climbing back onto the bed and I quickly jumped off before she could push me.

"I'm going for breakfast, you coming?" I smiled at her.

"Yeah. Its sunny,let's eat in the garden like we used to" she said excitedly. Wow, she was completely different yesterday. Was it really just because she was angry with me?

Dad was watching us, looking confused as we joked around with each other whilst packing things into a basket to take outside.

"Hey, why don't you join us?" I asked him.