Keep Holding On

I walked through the familiar hallway, running my fingers along the wall as I went. Everything was the same as before. The same pale blue paint which was scratched off in one corner, the same picture of me and my sister hung to one side, the same mat on the floor to wipe my feet on.

I breathed in the familiar scent. Things hadn't changed much since I left three years ago, but I had. It was my first back at home with my dad and already it was like I'd never left.

I wandered up to my old room, setting my suitcase on the bed. Even my room was still the same, only someone had tidied it since I was last in there. I kicked off my boots before climbing onto the bed. It didn't feel like it was mine anymore.

Slowly my eyes started to shut, I let sleep overtake me. It had been a long journey and I still had a lot of work to do with un packing.

    ********************************************

"Terri, Jamie!" I heard my dads voice calling from downstairs "dinners ready".

I stretched before rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Wait, did he say Jamie? I had no idea she was home already! I ran down the stairs and rushed into the dining room. I came to a stop as I looked at the chair in front of me. Her back was facing me, her long red hair flowed past her shoulders. She was much bigger than the last time I'd seen her.

"Jamie?" I almost whispered. Her head whipped round at the sound of my voice, her eyes open wide. I grinned, rushing forward to give my younger sister a hug. As I got closer I noticed she was moving further away.

My arms dropped to my side, my smile fell from my face. Didn't she want me home?. I was about to ask her what was wrong when my dad came into the room holding plates of food.

"Come sit down Terri" he said, smiling at me as he set down the plates.

I sat in the chair beside his and dug in. An awkward silence hung over the dinner table, I looked up to see Jamie staring at me as she played with her food. I smiled at her but she just adverted her gaze. I sighed, trying not to cry. What happened to my baby sister? we used to be so close!.

"Dad, I'm going out" Jamie's voice rung out into the silence as she slammed down her fork.

"Jamie!" he called after her, but it was too late, she slammed the front door and left. I slumped back into my chair, I didn't feel like eating anymore.

"I'm sorry about that" dad said with a reasuring smile.

"It's fine" I said, faking a smile back at him "Thanks for dinner dad, I'm going to bed"

"Ok, goodnight" he said as I stretched and yawned. I rushed upstairs and flopped down on my bed. Maybe I made a mistake moving back here? I sighed. I still needed to un pack.

An hour later, I was finished un packing. I got changed and went to bed, though I knew there was no chance of me sleeping tonight. It felt wrong to be there, like everything had been my fault and I didn't deserve to be there. That must be what Jamie though too.