Chapter Fifteen - Presents

It's been two weeks since I was freed, and, well, it's Christmas. As I wake up, the thought makes me smile, but even the fact that I'm still aching all over and have several healing wounds doesn't dampen my mood. I sit up gingerly, blinking away the haze of an unusually dreamless sleep, and pull the corner of my light green singlet up to check on my bullet wound. Kira had put her 'special healing powder' on both injuries when we returned to the base, without need for stitches, and checks on them every second day. Yesterday was the last time I changed the dressing, and the white bandages can be seen through the thin cotton. No blood shows, though.

Anyway, as I shift the bandages, I see that the bullet wound is scabbing over, and not infected. Good. I look at the mirror across from my bed, and glance at the slash over my temple, which also seems to be healing well. I yawn again, and stretch out my back in silence, before standing up to get changed.

A faint smile appears on my face again, five minutes later, when I'm dressed in a pastel blue sleeveless shirt and black jeans. I pick up the five brown paper bags that hold my teammates' presents. I was feeling creative, so I've glued different colours of tissue paper to the inside of the bags. Orange for Wills, green for Joel, purple for Kira, red for Ella, and yellow for Harley. I decided to make a sixth bag, with blue lining, to put any presents I might receive in. And for the others' presents, I've obtained a jar of herbal cream for Kira (which is almost as magical as her healing powder); a new double-bladed knife for Wills; a new mallet for Ella; a green hat with a black feather for Joel (because of the whole archer theme); and a new belt and eye mask set for Harley, as well as a little drawing I made. I really couldn't choose what to put in there, so I kind of just put my ideas together. This will be an interesting day, that's for sure.

I grab the bags, and head out into the main room, still grinning and humming Jingle Bells under my breath. I wave at Kira, who is leaning against a shelf and inspecting her palm. "Merry Christmas, Estella," she says, glancing up with a small smile.

"Merry Christmas, Kira," I reply, holding out the purple-lined bag as my voice comes across unusually cheerful. "Here you go."

She takes it, her smile widening, and lifts out the cream. "Ooh, interesting. Probably not as good as my powder, but ..." Her voice trails off, and I then add my thoughts on it.

"Apparently there's certain herbs in this one that can't be found normally. Could be useful to you, since you're the unofficial healer and all." Without another word, she turns, and pulls out a small gift, wrapped in green leaves. A small giggle escapes me; this is typical of her. "Oh, thanks." I open it, careful not to rip the leaves, and smile down at the gift of a small tube of substance.

"It's the healing dust," Kira explains. "I just liquefied it, so now it's a cream." I feel my face light up in a grin, as I look up, to meet the gaze of the shorter girl.

"That's exactly what I need, especially if I keep getting caught. Thanks!" I'm rewarded with a rare grin in return, and the two of us part ways to give out our other presents.

An hour later, I have tracked down Wills and Ella (coincidentally, they're in they're both in the same room, and I can't help but wonder what's going on there) and given the presents to both. In return, I receive a pistol from Wills, and a new belt from Ella. The belt is shiny, looped almost exactly like my old one, but is a dully glinting gold instead of my familiar silver. It also looks newer. And ... I really can't describe the pistol, apart from the fact that it is grey and gun-looking. Another brilliant choice of words there, Ese. Don't say that out loud. So, instead of making myself look like a fool, I thank the pair, wish both of them a Merry Christmas, and wander off to find Joel and Jacob.

It's about midday when I finally spot Joel. He's at the archery range, firing arrow after arrow and rarely missing the ten-point ring. He's getting really good at that, I think, and wait for his quiver to be empty before I approach the brown-haired guy. "Hey," I call as a greeting. He glances at me.

"Hang on one second, I've got to get the arrows out." The words make sense; I'd want my weapons safe and secure where I know that they're there. Anyway, about two minutes later, Joel returns.

"What's up?" He asks, leaning on the railing. "And Merry Christmas, by the way."

I grin, and hand him the green-lined bag. "Presents is up, Joel. Merry Christmas." I watch his reaction closely as he pulls out the hat, and he laughs. Not rudely, but in amusement.

"That's great. Is the black feather meant to represent you, or something?" I shrug, but feel a small smile appearing on my face for the thousandth time today.

"You can take it that way if you want, but I chose it because of the colours you normally wear." He nods, considering my words, and I wait for a reply.

"Okay, that's cool. Your present is still in my room, so I'll give it to you when we're both back." I nod as well, trying not to laugh as he puts the hat on his head. I ready myself to head off. Then I pause, glancing at the yellow-lined pag hanging from my right arm, looking a bit lonely.

"Hey, Joel? Have you seen Harley today?"

He shakes his head, the smile vanishing for a moment but then reappearing. "Nope. Sorry 'bout that. Merry Christmas."

"No, it's okay. Merry Christmas."

---------

A/N- 270+ reads! Wowzers! This is a split chapter (I have not a clue what they're actually called), since we still have to find out where Acro has been all day ...

Catch ya later, hatchlings!

- May

xx

Edited 14/08/14, the amount of reads this book had when I first updated this is quite small compared to the 1.6k it has now ... xD