Chapter Fourteen - Freedom

I sit there in shock for a few seconds as Acrobolt continues to try and pick the lock, with lots of muttering and swearing. I'm sure it's him, who else has an American accent and would help me? And how the hell did he even get in here?

"This isn't working ..." he mutters, cutting across my thoughts as people so rudely do these days. Obviously, I think, faintly amused despite myself. I hear something metal clatter to the ground, and then the sound of a gun being loaded. It chills my blood to hear that noise after what happened. "Well, here's to hoping I'm as good a shot as she says I am."

He's going to shoot the lock. Shit. I try and steady myself, to pretend that I'm stil asleep so I don't startle the guy when he actually shoots. I've got no doubt that he can hit his mark, but I kind of don't want to get shot again. Before I can freak myself out anymore, however, the gun goes off, the cuff unlocks, and a bullet flips onto my stomach. "Yay, it worked," Acrobolt mumbles, and I hear the dryness in his voice. He missed his mark, I think with a twinge of surprise, remembering how much of a perfectionist he can be at times.

I stay silent, still very tempted to say something and scare the stuffing out of him, but the other shackle unlocks (with a second gunshot), and he says, "I know you're awake, Tweety. You were thrashing about and whimpering before, when I was working on the shackles with a screwdriver."

So, that's what it was. I blink, looking at him out of the corner of my eye. "Damn it Bolts, I thought I'd fooled you for once. Apparently not."

Acrobolt laughs quietly, and then appears in my central vision, expression worried and tense. "Can you move?"

I try to sit up, and manage it on my first attempt, stifling another cough and a sneeze. "Stupid hayfever," I mutter, carefully swinging my aching legs over the side of the chair and looking up at my friend. "Probably, but not very fast," I say, answering his original question. "I got shot, as you know ... and clawed." Another cough escapes me as I explain my situation to Acrobolt, and I'm beginning to think I'm getting a chest infection, as I tap the side of my head gently to indicate the spot where the skin is broken.

As I finish, there's a moment of thoughtful silence. Then, Acrobolt says, "Okay. We'll go slow, and I'll get Arrow to cover us. If anyone gets too close, here." He hands me my belt, and my eyes widen. All five quills are attached.

"Are you nuts as well as Bolts? Why the hell did you bring them?" I hiss, shaking my head and taking the belt.

"Because you need to be able to defend yourself. And you do okay with slashy weapons, bullet-holed or not." He helps me up off the chair, grinning at me, and I can't help but smile slightly in return. I do up my belt, and tilt my head back slightly to stretch my stiff muscles.

"Okay, I'm ready. Let's go with your plan."

As we both set off to head towards a hole in the wall, I hobble quickly after Acrobolt. Not a door, just a blown-up hole. God, I must have been dead to the world when that happened, I think, raising my eyebrows as we step through the rubble and into the hall.

Green Arrow stands at the edge of the 'doorway', his bow half drawn, a signature 'G' arrow notched to the string. He pulls the draw back as he notices us appearing, but relaxes his stance ever so slightly when he notices that it's only Acrobolt and I. Relief shows on both boys' features as they share a quick glance, but I can't read what else, and Arrow gives a curt nod. "Oh good, you got her. Let's go, you pair; MadMex and Toxic are outside on guard, and Harlekella is-"

"Here!" chirps the brightly-clothed brunette, appearing from the shadows with a childish giggle and lifting her mallet over one shoulder. She seems not to notice that she just cut her brother off mid-sentence. "Kizzy and Mexie are outside on guard, and there's no-one home except us right now. So yeah, let's go!" It crosses my mind that Harlekella is permanently on a sugar high. The thought makes me smile, and I nod.

"I'm ready," I decide, smelling an unusual mix of citrus and smoke in the air that is randomly familiar, like a childhood memory.

Five minutes later, we reach the front hall, and I breathe a quiet sigh of relief as we walk at a brisk pace towards the door. A clock hangs conveniently on one wall, and Arrow murmurs in a thoughtful way, "Ten minutes until they're expected back. We'd better move faster."

I make a quiet noise of complaint, my side and head beginning to throb painfully with all the movement. "How far out are we from our base?"

"About fifteen minutes, running," Acrobolt answers, frowning now. "Can you run?"

"Not very fast, because of the bullet, but I should be able to hold up with a slow jog," I say, as I keep walking towards the doors. "Just be ready in case I fall over and open the wound again," I add and pull a face.

Suddenly, we come out into the night, and I know that I'll make it, as I grin at Toxic and MadMex in greeting. We all break into a steady jog, and I can't help it as my smile widens.

I'm free.