Chapter Twelve - Pain

It's cold. Cold, and dark.

I am half-conscious, lying in what feels like a dentist's chair, except for the fact that it is a cold metal, and every part of me aches. What the hell? I think, fighting to stay awake. The dull stinging sensation in my side sharpens suddenly, and I wince as I recall what has just happened to me. Oh right, I have just been shot. As was Bruce, but he is dead now. I wasn't killed, it seems, but I wish I had been. This pain hurts like nothing I've ever experienced before, but I only let out a quiet growl to vent some of the agony. As I try to sit up (with more pain), I notice that my arms and legs are tied to the chair. With silent tears streaming down my cheeks, I dig my gloved hands into the chair, wishing that I have longer nails. But, in hindsight, I'm grateful that I had given Acrobolt my Quills before pulling the stupid stunt with Bruce. And then my mind drifts to Harley, and in turn the mission: Did we get the sword? Did they both get out of there alive? I hope so...

Any further thought is pushed from my mind, however, when a door I hadn't noticed before opens, and three people step into the room. Two of them have brown eyes and dark hair- I recognise Cat Girl, and the young man that kidnapped me. The third looks familiar, too, with blue eyes and blonde hair, but I can't place his face. I blink lazily at them, disguising my terror for snark. "I'm flattered that you think I'm dangerous enough to restrain like this, but the straps are really unnecessary, guys."

"Shut up." The first boy, the one who kidnapped me, speaks. He folds his arms. For once in my life, I actually do as I'm told, biting the inside of my cheek again, knowing that the flesh there is ragged and torn, and relishing the small sting to take my mind off the hole in my side. I don't know where I am, or what these guys are capable of, so it's probably best if I stay quiet. Seeing that I have at least some common sense (I don't), the boy speaks again. "You are in the Samurai compound. We are in control, and you will comply if you want to survive. Any questions yet?"

I give him a withering glare, hoping he doesn't call my bluff when I say the words, "What if I don't want to survive?"

Cat Girl smiles evilly, and answers my question. "We'll keep you around until you give us the information we need, Raven. I know you can't bear to have your precious 'boyfriend' in danger, so this will be fun. I was only a test, you see. I was placed to find out what both you and Toxic reacted to strongly ... when I saw Acrobolt there, I knew what I had to do. And yes, I do think of him like that. I'm just not delusional enough to think I have a chance with him."

Cat Girl's words hurt even more than the bullets ... because I know she is right. I am delusional, giving myself false hope over something that isn't going to happen. She knew. Before the factory. How did she know? I take another breath, and look back at Cat Girl. "He's not my boyfriend ... but who are they?" I ask, lacing innocent curiosity into my tone as I nod to the boys.

This time, the blonde guy answers, ignoring my first statement. "I am Black Jack, and this is Shadow Knight. We've met before," he adds, glaring at me. And, right on cue, suddenly I remember.

"That's right, I beat you up with feathers, didn't I?" After I say the words, I realise that that was a really bad idea. Oops. Black Jack's hands ball into fists and he takes a step forward, but Shadow Knight holds up a hand.

"It's shocking," he says with a pointed look at Black Jack before turning back to me, "how stupid the Crime Lords can be, sometimes." As if that was a cue, Black Jack picks up a pole. About a metre long, with a dark grip and a blue top, it doesn't look very threatening until the top is touched to my chair.

I don't want to describe the feeling, but I know with some instinctive sense that they are electrocuting me. A low voltage, but I still cry out as pins and needles times ten race through my body, stabbing and burning.

"Tell us what we need to know, Raven, or this will continue. What are the identities of your comrades? Where is your base?" Shadow Knight's voice comes, as he gestures for the pole to be lifted. The agony subsidies a little bit, but now I feel like I'm going to throw up. Again.

I cough instead, taking wheezing breaths. "I don't know last names, and our base is in a tree. Sorry to disappoint." I spit the words bitterly.

Cat Girl smirks, and touches a clawed finger to the side of my head, with the point resting just above my left temple. "Where in a tree? There are a lot of trees, you know." I grit my teeth, and think carefully before answering.

If I tell the Samurai where our base is, we are all in very grave danger. I won't be able to warn my friends. But aren't we all in that much danger anyway, with the life we lead? The life of a criminal isn't easy, and I will probably go to whatever hell awaits me for my crimes.

I'm startled from my musings by Cat Girl, who pushes her claw harder against my head, breaking the skin. It's only a prickle of pain compared to what I have already been through, but it spurs me to action. "I can't tell you," I say defiantly, sealing my own fate.

"So be it." Cat Girl smirks, runs the claw down my left temple, and I feel warm blood beginning to flow down my cheek.

Mercifully, I lose consciousness at that moment. Again? I complain to my sub-conscious, but receive no reply.