HOW THE BIRTH ORDER GET ALONG (INTERPRETATION)

If you're an only child and your beloved is . . .

AN ONLY CHILD: This mix can work if the two of you are willing to live in separate wolds together and maintain a quiet understanding of each other's needs, without pressure or drama.

A FIRSTBORN: both of you are independent, take charge types, but it is the firstborn who needs to be the alpha dog. Can you let somebody else to do the driving? If so, go for it.

A MIDDLE BORN: this coupling has a fairly high rate of success. The middle-born mate can be an empathetic and supportive partner, as long as he receives plenty of affection and appreciation in return.

A LAST BORN: Somebody has to be the grown up. In this case, it's you. With a last born at your side, you'll never be bored, buj you might be stuck with boring tasks like holding down a job and paying the bills. Beware: The "mommy role" isn't exactly sexy and can ultimately lead to the death of romance.

*if you're a firstborn and you have your eye on . . .

AN ONLY CHILD: You're bossy; he's selfish. Power struggles are practically guaranteed, but with the right combination of love and communication, you two hardheads could make a great couple.

A FIRSTBORN: When two pit bulls are thrown together, they can end up with bloody gashes and broken teeth. Or, they can end up being new best friends and having a litter of pups. So it is with the firstborn plus firstborn combo: The results will be either disastrous or delightful.

A MIDDLE-BORN: You two are naturally compatible, at least in theory. Success depends on your man's willingness to be patient, loving and supportive while you're out conquering the world.

A LASTBORN: You wear the pants; he takes them off. You're a powerhoure; he's a boy toy. Or something like that. This is a rather unconventional pairing of ambitious female and free-spirited male, but it could prove to be an absolute blast for both of you.

*if you're a middle-born and you're dreaming about . . .

AN ONLY CHILD: he might bask in the glow of your friends and family, and pick up a few pointers about giving and receiving. If you choose this man, be prepared to allow him plenty of alone time.

A FIRSTBORN: You'll likely find comfort in his stability and strength, just as he'll appreciate your winning way with people and problems. A fine match.

A MIDDLE-BORN: Where passive meets passive, there is kindnetrs, comfort, and understanding, but very little action. This coupling could result in stagnancy or even codependency.

A LAST-BORN: As a middle-born, you can only feel secure in a completely monogamous relationship. The typical last-born is outgoing and engaging, and his flirty behavior will no doubt rattle your trust. Whether he's true to you or not, you'll probably make each othe miserable.

*If you're a last born with a yearning for . . .

AN ONLY CHILD: Make room for Daddy. This match could be healthy and happy, as long as your only-child mate enjoys, appreciates, and indulges you, while setting limits that preserve his sanity.

A FIRSTBORN: You've seen the movie: High-spirited girl meets older, uptight man and melts his frozen heart. Think Pretty Woman, My Fair Lady, Gigi, The Sound of Music. . .the list goes on and on. If you're tempteD to persue a firstborn, remember that the men in these movies were rich, powerful, or both. Hint, hint.

A MIDDLE BORN: This coupling has tons of potential and gets its strength from a combination of practically (him), flexibility (him), reliability (him), and adventurousness (you).

A LAST BORN: It will be a wild ride, but will it last? Don't think about that right now. Just jumg right in and enjoy being half of a dynamic duo. You never know -- it might withstand the test of time.

© Todd Lyon

( 50 ways to Read Your Lover )