12 - Under New Management

Well, guys. . . I'm sorry to say, but this is the last chapter to this story. I'm so glad that it flourished this much. I actually almost gave up on it in the beginning, it was the story with the slowest start. But not only did it get recognized, it bypassed one of my most popular stories in a matter of a month. It continued to blossom, and I have been happier with each new read. Thank you all who have been keeping tabs, I couldn't have done it without you. I assure there will be more Skyrim fics from me in the near future, maybe some one shots/drabbles? o: I think it's a good idea to go with. After all, Skyrim fans riddle this site. I hope this continues to grow, as I would enjoy it reaching over 5k reads sometime. ^^

Much love.

-Gaviria

_______________________________________________________________________________

Delvin and Vex were making a habit out of sending you around to different holds when you returned from your duties with Brynjolf and Karliah. The Guild was in need of a new Master, but you had to get yourself on their good side first. They certainly couldn't have heard about your journey, not unless Brynjolf decided it was a good idea to preach about it in the first place. You doubted he would do that to you, even though he did take pride of the relationship he established with you. It was something you both didn't seem to be expecting, that was an absolute fact.

Delvin had sent you to Solitude for a numbers job, having you scribble all over the business ledger in Katla's Farm, formerly known as the Solitude Stables. It went on without a problem. You didn't like priding yourself, but you did think you were a natural thief. It was a terrible thing to be proud of, but yet you didn't care what others thought of you when there was an entire Guild ready to jump to your defense.

Following was a job in Markarth, where you had to steal a Silver and Moonstone Circlet from a woman you knew took shelter in the Warrens. She was just as you expected her to be, sitting there halfway conscious in the middle of the floor. Of course, your hand accidentally brushed against her back, and she called the guards. You got the circlet, but you just had to wait a few moments before the guards would back off. 

The job to follow that escapade was stealing a golden ship model from the preacher in Whiterun. You knew where his house was located as well. You broke in and stole around fifty gold coins from his belongings while he slept. Of course,  that was before you truly believed in your skills as a natural thief. Before the Guild even came into your life. 

Next was a sweep job, where you had to return to Whiterun and sweep Ysolda's house of its valuables. You had a bit of hesitancy, Ysolda was a nice woman. You knew her well, but that wasn't going to get in the way of you doing what you had to do--your job. She wouldn't know it was you, anyway. You two would still remain close. The job went on without any issue, and that was surprising on your part. You thought your hesitant nature in taking the job would've made you slip up. Maybe leave a little evidence behind, but no. Nocturnal was at your back, and your natural skill allowed you to go on without any further issue.

Another was a heist in Markarth, where you had to steal a silver necklace from the Silver-Blood in. Another quick success. No one knew what hit them. You found yourself chucking when you heard the victim realize what had just happened to them.

The special job from Delvin was a bit of a pain to deal with. It involved returning to Markarth, and speaking to a certain silversmith--whose name you had forgotten already. It was only a business visit, no need to memorize names, right? Pinewatch was riddled with bandits, and the secret opening with the bookcase surprised you. Who knew bandits were smart to create a secret entrance to a hand-made hideout. They even had created a Sanctuary, where the ending just never seemed to show for quite a long time. It must've taken years to perfect. Bandits weren't exactly the wisest people in Tamriel. They put up a fight to remember, but you managed to take them all on with your arrows and wits. 

As if the special job wasn't enough, Delvin sent you on another expedition to Whiterun to assist the Battle-Borns. You got that they were a high-powered family, but he needed to give you a break sometime. You were getting sit of constantly running around. But it was all worth it in the end. You had to steal a warning letter so the Whiterun guard would not look for a friend of one of the Battle-Borns, then set up that friend with a new identity by the prison registry. It was an easy job, and surprisingly the guards didn't catch on. Skyrim's guards can be quite idiotic.

After another set of jobs that you had in Windhelm and Solitude, it was time for the position Brynjolf had promised you.

You had made your way down to the Cistern after returning from your last set of jobs, noting the people in the Guild were already gathered and watching you as you stepped down. There was one that was missing, and that was Brynjolf. You weaved into one of the hallways, finding him in the combat training room. He had his armor on, and now a hood flipped over his red hair. 

He smiled kindly at you as you stepped toward him, and his green eyes lit up in excitement. "Well, my love. . . the time has come to make it official. It's time to become our Guild Master. Don't worry, I promise this will be short and sweet. If you can meet the rest of them in the middle of the cistern room, we can begin." 

You nodded your head with a grin spreading across your face, and you turned to leave the room and head toward the cistern. Brynjolf stopped you for a brief moment, turning you around and planting a kiss on your lips. "I'm happy it was you who we decided on, lass. I don't see it going any better in someone else's hands."

You blushed a bit and giggled girlishy, proceeding to walk through the hall. You saw something in his green eyes, something that drew your curiosity. He was hiding something, but it wasn't negative. Like he was going to surprise you with something. But what would that be?

You stood in the middle of the cistern, the Guild surrounding the middle. Brynjolf stood in front of you, Delvin to your right and Vex to your left. Karliah had appeared for this time as well, taking her place next to Brynjolf.  You stared at Brynjolf intentively as he went through the general rule of thumb.

"Look, I've never been good at these things, lass. So here it is:

"Being Guild Master means more than just getting a cut of all the loot, it's about being a leader and keeping this rabble in order. With that in mind, I propose that the position of Guild Master should be yours." 

He looked to his right. "Delvin?"

"Agreed," he replied.

Brynjolf looked to the left. "Vex?"

"Sure, why not?" Vex said. 

That's surprising.

He looked over at Karliah. "Karliah?"

"Absolutely."

"Everyone is in agreement, so all I can do now is name you Guild Master and wish you good fortune and long life," Brynjolf spoke with a grin. "Now, everyone. Get back to work!"

Everyone departed on demand, and Brynjolf's gaze lingered onto you. His grin remained the same, if not gotten wider. It suited him. You wanted him to stay like that, before his straight-faced expression stuck for good. You pushed the hood down off of his head, hearing it make its resting sound around his shoulders. "Keep the hood down. It suits you better."

"I will do so, just for you love," Brynjolf chuckled. "Here, take this. It's kind of tradition." He handed you an amulet, which looked as if it was made from ebony. There was also a key, which was probably the Guild Master's Tribute chest. There was one more article, wrapped up carefully in a cloth. It felt light, and valueable. You stared at him questioningly, and he nodded at you to unravel it.

You did so slowly, and then dangled the article in front of you. "An Amulet of Mara?"

He grabbed it gently, slipping it over your head. He then used that moment to crush a powerful, passionate kiss on your lips.

"Will you marry me, lass?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________

BAHAHAHHAHA I'm leaving it at that. <3 Mushy ending ftw. I hope you all enjoyed this story, it was certainly fun writing it all~! I love you guys!

-Gaviria