Bluebell Flames

BLISSFUL OBLIVION
An A-Z series of Drastoria one-shots
by EMPG22HoPe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A simple fire charm meant a great deal to Draco and Astoria more than once in their lives, but there were three times when blue flames stood out to them the most.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLUEBELL FLAMES

"You're the light that makes my darkness disappear."

The first time bluebell flames meant a great deal to them was on Astoria's first year at Hogwarts.

Astoria had been sobbing all day, which wasn't really a new occurrence since she arrived at the castle. Though really, one couldn't blame her when a killer was on the loose.

The second the dementors boarded the Hogwarts Express, she was sure to have cried one too many octaves high. They were big, dark looming figures that terrified twelve year-old Astoria to the bones. Some people might have shaken off the fear of seeing a dementor, but certainly not her. And they certainly haven't forgotten how she screamed so loud in the train that she was practically being teased for it; probably even more for when Harry Potter fainted.

The teasing hasn't stopped for more than a week now. Astoria sniffed and wiped at her nose, her bright green eyes more dimmed than ever as she sat in the Slytherin common room with her head down as Daphne, her big sister, tried to calm her down. Some of the Slytherin boys in her year had made fun of her again—calling her little Greengrass and filthy bloody traitor while spooking her by covering their heads with their cloaks, pretending to be dementors. The thought made the young witch choke on her own tears. She felt awful.

"Oh, for goodness' sake, Tori, please stop crying." Daphne cooed at her reluctantly, quite obviously wanting to be anywhere but here. "Look, they're just some stupid boys and—oh, hey, Draco!"

Astoria heard someone grunt irritably.

"What do you want, Greengrass?" The sound of Draco's lazy drawl came as he neared the sisters.

Astoria refused to look up, still wallowing in her own self-pity, though it's not to say she wasn't listening in.

"Can you please take care of Astoria for, like, two seconds?" Daphne pleaded, sounding frustrated. "I have to be in detention with Sprout and Merlin forbid I fail bloody Herbology."

Even when she wasn't looking, she could feel Draco's glare burn right through her head. Astoria imagined he must have looked livid, for who in their right mind would have asked Draco Malfoy, of all people, to take care of their little sister? She had to give Daphne some credit for being rather ballsy.

"Why on earth do you think I would do that—"

"Okay, thanks, you're the best, bye!" Daphne quipped up hurriedly, leaving Astoria's side at once.

Astoria looked up briefly to catch her sister dash out of the common room. Her heart sank considerably at her sister leaving her. But then again, Daphne wasn't much friendly company when she left Astoria all alone in the train to fend for herself.

Astoria's gaze finally fell upon Draco, who stood there staring at the common room's entrance looking rather dumbfounded at what had just happened. When Draco finally turned towards Astoria, she nearly jumped off her seat in surprise. Cold grey eyes met bright green ones bitterly. All she wanted to do was look away from him, but there was something about the way his features slackened into a midriff of confusion that made her stare a little longer.