23. Monster

AMY'S POV:

"Have you tried turning yourself in? You know, surrendering to Jason? He'll eventually forgive you and then you'll be the Luna, and everything will be fine!"

I shook my head at Kelly's comment. That wasn't going to work. Jason hated me. 

"I don't think he'll let me enter back in that smoothly. Honestly, it seems like everyone wants me dead."

"So, what do we do?" she asked, looking disheartened. If only it was only that simple.

"Oscar, the one that was attacked by Ryder, had a plan to get me out. It required multiple witches, though."

"And if you break the boundary that surrounds this witch community..." 

"An alarm is set off. Then it's a race between who gets me first - the witches or the wolves."

Kelly shook her head. "This is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be."

I rolled my eyes. "Tell me about it."

I sighed, looking around. "Let's just sit tight and wait for a while, then. We also need to track down Oscar, and check if he's okay."

"How do you know where the boundary is, though?" Kelly asked, waving through her arms through the air. "I don't see or feel anything."

I shook my head. "It doesn't work that way. Supernatural beings can sense it. A mere human passing through means nothing to them, as long as they stay out of trouble. I can tell that it's somewhere near the trees down there," I spoke softly, pointing at the two that stood ahead of us, almost as a gateway, "and leads straight into Jason's pack. Which is probably the worst place we can go right now."

"But he won't hurt you," Kelly said, glancing down the way. "You could walk down their, surrender, and he wouldn't hurt you - you're his mate."

"That's what I thought too." I put my head down, before shaking those thoughts out. "I'm never going back there, staying here sounds like pure bliss compared to that."

Kelly's features scrunched up. "What happened?" When I stay quiet, she continues. "A, you did you go back there at all? Ever?"

I took a deep breath, looking her dead in the eyes. "I went to find Evelyn, to see if she remembered or knew where I could find a spell to bring back my wolf, Rachel. Jason appeared, and..." I gulped, "...and he tortured me. The witches got there in the nick of time, though. He doesn't see me as a mate. Next time he sees me, I have no doubt that he'll attempt to kill me."

Kelly gasped, covering her hands over her mouth. "A, I-I don't know what to say! How could he do that? I thought mates loved each other...?!"

"Well, apparently this one doesn't," I scoffed, hoping to change the topic.

"A-Amy," suddenly Kelly's voice quivered. Her eyes reflected fear in its purest form, but they weren't directed at me. It was behind me, in the direction of the two trees. "Is there anyone else that doesn't completely like you right now?"

"Wh-" I turned to see what she was seeing.

"Because I think they would have to to have just crossed over the barrier and come for you."

He was tall, menacing; the figure that approached from the woods. He was tall from a broad chest and reminded me of someone slightly, but I threw that thought away immediately. I had never seen this man in my life.

He wasn't a human, nor wolf. He was gruesome looking, a wolf head on a warped body, covered in thick tufts of black hair. He had sharp fangs that glinted, along with his red eyes.

"Run," I managed to breathe out, my voice hoarse in fear. "Kelly, RUN!"

We both bolted back into the witch territory, my feet taking me much farther ahead than Kelly could keep up. I didn't realize that the monster was gaining on us until I heard heavy footfalls from behind, the crack of a branch, and Kelly's scream.

Turning around, I saw as she frantically clawed at the ground as she was being dragged backward by the barbaric creature. Out of instinct, I tore after them, desperate to get my friend back out of harm's way. 

As I chased, I screamed. "YOU BAS***D! LET HER GO!" 

I was so caught up in getting Kelly that I didn't realize that we were heading towards the twin trees. The second my foot crossed between them, though, I felt the air around me change.

There was no going back. Both the witches and wolves knew that there was a breach.

The man gripping Kelly's leg turned around and gave a mocking smile, his yellow fangs showing. 

"You're not so safe from us yet," he growled out, his voice echoing around me.

You're not so safe from us yet.

I gasped, stumbling back slightly.

I knew who this man was.

And he had achieved his goal in getting me out of hiding. Now, he was going to try and take me down, once and for all.

...

Hey guys!

SO SORRY for the lack in updates!

I am going to finish this book soon, I can promise that!

I will try to update as quickly as I can from here on out, but that still might not be every day with my busy schedule.

Who do you think the man is?

What might happen next?

Don't forget to

READ. COMMENT. VOTE!

-hexodus :)