A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 35

Being busy sucks :/ There are only a limited number of chapters left, but I have no time to complete them! But here's one chapter closer to the ending. I know it's a super short chapter (the next perspective didn't tie into the chapter very well), so I will be putting up the next chapter shortly as an apology for the shortness and lateness of the post. Happy reading!!

Also, I just wanted to say that "Dreaming of Darcy" is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have read my disclaimer.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 35

——-

Emma pasted a smile on her face as yet another debutante came and sat down next to her most likely hoping to hear all the details of her recent betrothal to the unattainable duke. As if she hadn't heard it from someone else at the garden party already. She was experiencing the worst headache of her life and wanted nothing more than to return home and plop down on her bed.

"Good afternoon, Alyssa," she said as politely as she could. "The weather is lovely, isn't it? Perfect for having tea outdoors."

Alyssa Stockholm nodded in assent but didn't say anything further. Emma looked at her curiously. All of the other ladies had begun plaguing her with questions as soon as they had deemed the pleasantries to be over. Perhaps Miss Stockholm didn't want to talk about her engagement. She was less of a gossip than the others, probably a result of being related to a family of barristers and solicitors.

"Um, have you tried the scones? The cranberry-orange ones are absolutely delicious. I was thinking about asking Lady Merritt to have her cook send the recipe over," Emma tried again, hating that she had to be the one to make conversation instead of the other way around.

Again, Alyssa nodded in assent but didn't say anything. Emma glanced at her for a moment and then decided that the lack of conversation was a welcome respite. She was getting tired of repeating the same story over and over with tiny differences here and there to see what would make the gossip column tomorrow and what wouldn't. Alyssa sat there for a few more minutes in silence and then scooted closer to Emma.

"Emma, may I ask you something?"

Emma gave her consent, curious to hear what was on the young woman's mind.

"We're friends right?"

"Yes, I believe so," Emma said, wondering what had brought along that question.

"And friends look out for friends, right?"

"Yes," Emma stated, not quite sure where this was going.

"Are you in love with Lord Devonshire?"

Emma sighed, somewhat confused by the twist in questioning, but not completely surprised. She should have seen this coming. Of course Alyssa wanted every detail too. She couldn't possibly have come over just to share some companionable silence.

"Yes, how could I not be? He's handsome, charming, everything a woman wants in a man. The courtship and proposal were rather sudden, but—" Emma replied mechanically, having answered the question dozens of times at this point, before getting cut off.

"But does Lord Devonshire love you?"

Emma just stared at her in shock, taken aback by the question. None of the dozens of ladies that had asked to hear about the proposal or courtship had asked her that question. They had just taken for granted that she and Blake were both in love after she had declared her love for him.

"Of course," she answered, though she wasn't at all sure if that was the case.

Something must have shown in her face, because Alyssa's next question to her was, "Are you sure?"

Emma hesitated, trying to decide between being truthful or lying. She opted for the truth.

"No, I'm not sure."

Miss Stockholm looked slightly troubled as she said, "I was afraid of that."

"Excuse me?"

"Emma, you must forgive me for being impertinent, but I've always liked you, and I know we may not be very close, but I still want you to be happy."

Emma raised an eyebrow, indicating that she should continue.

"Were you aware that my brothers, Wulfric and Bryan, are solicitors at Stockholm and Sons?"

Emma nodded, more and more perplexed with the direction of the conversation with every question.

"I really shouldn't be telling you this, but I feel that I must. I overheard my brothers talking the other day. They were placing bets over whether a client of theirs would be able to meet the demands of a codicil in the terms of his inheritance of a title. The terms were that he marry by thirtieth of June, and if he doesn't, Parliament will seize his properties and take away the title. Apparently, the client only received notice of this codicil three weeks ago. And now he has a week left to find a wife and get married."

"This is all very interesting, Alyssa, but I'm not sure why you're telling me this. It does not have anything to do with me."

"But, Emma, it has everything to do with you. Don't you understand? The client is none other than Lord Devonshire."