A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 5

I tried to make this chapter a little longer. I know it's not really that much longer, but give me some credit here :P

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer.

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 5

-----

“So, Miss Sheridan, I never got a chance to tell you how lovely you look tonight. All the men must be vying for your attention. You will save me a dance, won't you?” Blake asked with another charming smile that would make any other woman's knees go weak. However, it seemed that Emma was completely immune to his charms.

“No,” Emma replied tersely.

“Oh, come on. Please don't be vexed with me. The door wasn't my fault, you know.”

“I know,” she replied even more tersely than before, if that was even possible.

“Like I said before we should make the best of our situation by getting to know one another better. It can't be long before someone opens the door for us. Do you enjoy dancing?”

“Yes.”

“I suppose that is good, considering there are multiple occasions every week where it becomes necessary to do so. I am at quite the disadvantage here, not knowing all the current dances, having grown up in India. Maybe you could practice with me, while we wait here.” He put out his hand as the faint strains of a waltz reached her ears. Hoping that he would be quiet, and without thinking, she took his hand and began to move with the music. Almost immediately, he began another round of questions.

“Do you play an instrument or draw?”

“Yes.”

“Which do you prefer? And what do you play?”

“Pianoforte. I don't have a preference.”

Blake chuckled. “I think that is the most I have heard you speak in the past five minutes. Do you enjoy riding?”

“No.”

“Ah, back to the one word answers. Reading?”

“Yes.” She frowned and bit her lip. It looked as if she wanted to say more but was holding herself back. No matter, at least he knew what subject to bring up the next time they met.

“Me too. Though I have not yet gotten a chance to become acquainted with my library at Sherwood Manor, I hope to do so soon. I also would like to build up my library in the London house. I had a very extensive library in India. My friend Arjun and I used to spend hours upon hours in there.”

She frowned again, but continued dancing. Then, suddenly, she stopped.

“Well, it appears that the song has ended.” Blake moved away from her reluctantly and did a little bow that would have looked ridiculous on anyone else but looked just fine on him. A mischievous glint appeared in his eyes. “Thank you for this dance, even though you did refuse me earlier,” he said with a grin. “I suppose I should go check the door again.”