A Duke and A Damsel--Chapter 28

The next chapter is up finally up :) I've got to say, that being inspired to write thing was pretty great while it lasted. Too bad it went away. Enjoy!!

This chapter is dedicated to monkey9192 for helping to sorta get out of my writer's block rut.

Also, I just wanted to say that “Dreaming of Darcy” is now available as an ebook on Lulu.com and on the iBookstore and for Nook. I would love for you guys to check it out and rate/review it on those sites as well as Goodreads if possible :) Let me know if you'd like more information!!

I am going to assume that since you've made it this far, you have ready my disclaimer.   

As always, I would appreciate any form of feedback. Please vote and fan if you like it, and comment even if you don't. Thanks for reading!

Above all, thank you to my loyal fans who read, comment, and vote no matter what!!

A Duke and A Damsel

Chapter 28

-----

Arjun had to use every ounce of self-control he possessed not to giggle gleefully at the scene unfolding in front of him. And Horace and Magdalene Milleboone looked thoroughly shocked. It couldn't have been more perfect. Blake and Emma were so wrapped up in each other that they had completely failed to notice that they had company. His plan was going even more splendidly than...well, than if he had planned it himself.He cleared his throat loudly.

“What on earth is going on here?!” Horace Milleboone's voice boomed before Arjun could say anything else.

Horace was trying very hard to look outraged, but there was a glint to in his eye that almost matched Arjun's. Only his derived from malice, not pleasure.

Blake looked flabbergasted and completely shell-shocked. He hadn't moved a muscle since pulling hastily apart from Emma. Arjun almost felt bad for him. Actually, he did feel bad for him. But not bad enough to stop his internal gloating at the successfulness of his plan.

Arjun had come to this ball with the intention of having the Milleboones discover Blake and Emma together, just as they had last time. Hence sending the false note to Emma from Sebastian and convincing Blake to go outside minutes after arriving.

Emma stepped forward indignantly.

“That is none of your business, Mr. Milleboone,” she said haughtily.

“Nor was it anyone's business when I mistakenly stepped into a room where Horace was sitting by himself doing unmentionable things. Yet I was forced to marry him,” Magdalene stated. “Though who does that at a public event, I don't know,” she muttered under her breath.

Emma smiled, looking a little self-satisfied.

“Well, there's no need to 'force' anyone to marry here.”

“Why is that?” Magdalene demanded. “It's only fair. And you won't have a choice once we tell everyone here what we've seen. This is much worse than how I was caught, seeing as you were actually engaging in something. You'll be a ruined woman. Trust me, being married is infinitely preferable to being looked at like a trollop the rest of your life. Even if you are married to the wrong man,” she continued sadly.

Arjun suddenly felt a flash of sympathy for Magdalene Milleboone. She must not have been like this before she was forced to marry such a toad of a man. Emma, however, appeared not to feel any such remorse and glared at Magdalene. She appeared to dislike the woman quite a bit for whatever reason. But then, her expression changed, and she began to speak again.