Epilogue

Epilogue

Lydia Dunst

Everything was falling into place. After a few days I was able to take off the sling and use my arm properly and Dustin was able to come home and got to heal in the comfort of a real bed. He could finally breathe, because he and his siblings were safe from the wrath of their father. James had been convicted for the attempted manslaughter of Dustin and the long term abuse of his children. We were all relieved to hear he received the maximum sentence of twenty years to life.

Dustin and I were closer than ever, if that was even possible. We spent every waking moment together, even some nights. We were both happy to get back into boxing but part of me knew that boxing wasn't my future, but it was Dustin's. The way he moved, the way he smiled like he was having the time of his life was meant to last forever. All I felt was fear. Maybe it was because of what happened, but I never wanted to see someone hurt again.

I stood in front of the mirror in my lavender dress, curling the last few strands of my hair. My dress was strapless and beaded to perfection. Light purple and silver beads were patterned around the bodice. At my waist light flowy material flowed to the floor. I couldn't believe that prom was tonight. We were in the final stretch, high school was so close to being over. Graduation was only a week away. Dustin and I survived.

I heard a knock at the door. "Can I come in?" My Dad asked. Instead of answering I opened the door. "You look beautiful sweetheart." He smiled. "Dustin's waiting for you downstairs."

I smiled, thinking about how good Dustin would look in a suit. "Thank you."

"Are you ready?" He motioned to the stairs and I nodded.

"Yeah." I blushed, I was about to have the night of my life with Dustin. I never dreamed that I would have a boyfriend by the time prom came around and now I had the best boyfriend I could ever ask for. I lifted the lavender flowy skirt so I wouldn't trip and tried not to slip out of the silver heels I'd been forced into wearing by Janie. Apparently wearing heels on prom night was like a right of passage.

Dustin was standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking dapper in his black tuxedo. His hair was slicked back and his face was clean shaven. A big smile came on my face as well as on his. I got to the bottom and his arm slipped around my waist.

"Wow, you look... stunning." He was breath taken and that made me swoon.

"You look very handsome." I laid my hands on his chest. He reached behind him and grabbed a small plastic box with a flower inside. "You got me a corsage?"

"Of course I did, this is prom." He laughed and slipped the corsage onto my wrist. My Dad handed me his boutonniere and I pinned it onto his suit jacket. "I got you something else." This time he pulled a velvet box out of his pocket.

I opened it up to reveal a silver necklace that spelled my name in handwriting. "You shouldn't have." My eyes pooled with tears.

"Do you like it?" He asked, worried I didn't.

"Yes, I love it!" I pecked his lips. "Put it on for me?" I held my hair to the side as his clipped the necklace around my neck.

"Picture time." My Nana rushed in, holding the camera. "Get close." I leaned into Dustin's side and felt his hand on the small of my back. "You two are so cute." She cooed, taking several pictures. "Okay, now kiss."

"What?" I gulped.

"For a picture. Come on, pucker up." She urged. I looked up at Dustin and he just shrugged. He put his hand on my cheek and kissed me gingerly, keeping it PG. "Oh yes! That's perfect!"