Chapter Twenty Three - Part Two

Lydia Dunst

I woke up with my head on Dustin's bare chest. I hadn't had such a good night's sleep in a while. With him it was like my mind went quiet. I snuggled into his shirt, it draped over my silhouette and was the softest cotton I had ever felt. When I moved, my entire body ached, especially my neck.

I groaned, trying to get more comfortable. Dustin's eyes fluttered open.

"Morning..." He smiled, snaking his arm around my waist and kissed my forehead.

"Mornin'." I muttered, groggily.

His eyes searched mine, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"You okay?" He wondered, furrowing his eyebrows in question, when I nodded.

"I'm fine, just a little sore." I said honestly, not wanting him to worry, but he did anyway.

"Is there anything I can do?" He offered, his hands trailing my body.

"I'm fine, I'm tough, remember?" I laughed, but Dustin frowned. "I'm serious Dustin."

"So am I."

I leaned into him and kissed his lips, then his neck and down to the light trail of hair below his belly button.

"Don't think you can distract me so easily." He laughed, shaking his head but I could see the passion he was trying to hide in his eyes.

"But I can try." I muttered, bringing my lips back to his. "I'm okay, and I'll be okay, promise."

"I love you." Dustin leaned into me, and snuggled his head into my chest. "I'm so sorry for this week." He muttered, sadness lacing his voice. I ran my hands gently through his hair.

"Hey, don't, we're past that. It's in the past." I tried to convince him but he just shook his head. I tilted his chin to make him look at me. "Come on, I forgive you, so forgive yourself." I whispered in his ear, tugging at waist. "You got scared it's okay."

"It's not, but okay." He smiled, halfheartedly and stretched before sitting up. "What time is it?" I reached for my phone.

"Six thirty-four in the morning." I muttered. He laid back down, pulling me onto his chest. "I don't want to go back to sleep." I whined, tracing the muscles on his abdomen.

"Ten more minutes." He pushed the pillow back under his head and closed his eyes. He looked so peaceful while he slept, as if he hadn't been touched by such pain.

I could have watched him sleep forever. No matter how creepy it sounded. I kept wondering how I ended up with such a beautiful person, how such a beautiful person loved me. I knew he thought he didn't deserve me but the truth was I didn't deserve him and I didn't think I ever would.

He made me feel so warm. It was selfish, but I loved how much he trusted me, to show me himself, to let himself be so vulnerable and to trust me with his secrets, even after being abused by the most important person in his life, his father. I didn't know how he did it, but I loved him for it. He made me feel special and loved. I was so happy that he trusted me, that he let me in.

I wasn't going to let him go through it alone anylonger.

I wouldn't let him get hurt again.

I let my mind drift. I imagined what would happen if I woke Dustin up with a kiss. If he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close, making us both feel safe. But no matter how close he pulled me, it wouldn't be close enough. When I showed him how much I loved him, kissing every inch of his skin. When I showed him that we didn't have anything to hide from each other because imperfections and all, we loved each other.