-Eighteen-

"Hey Matt, how are you feeling?" was the first thing I said to him on entering the ward the next evening. "Good" he smiled and shifted in his bed. "So what do you want to know?" he asked, a tense expression on his face. I knew it was hard for him to narrate everything that had led to the series of events. "Don't worry, I already know" I told.

"How?" he asked, confused. "That blonde tall guy, said his name was Kevin, he told me" I said. "So you met him" Matt smiled, relieved that he didn't have to explain it after all. "Yes, he said he was Dan at first" I frowned, remembering how we met. "Good" Matt continued smiling.

"Good? Impersonating someone is not good" I said, worried that Matt had lost it. "He's just doing his job by being a good officer" he told. "And what is this job of his?" I asked plainly.

"Protecting my brother" he said like it was the most obvious fact on earth. "Why does Dan need protection now?" I asked, saddened by how they had lost their right to live a normal life. "We recently got news that from among those traitors, one is still on the loose" he informed, making me believe that everything that Kevin had told me was real.

"You see, Kevin told me how you have got people who can probably take your life, but surely there's a reason I am not aware of" I said, sitting on the visitor's chair in the room.

"The army has secrets, which is why a branch of it is called the secret service. Those working there aren't supposed to disclose anything at every cost" he started telling. "Yeah I have read books on that" I told him.

"So when a group of those people give in the information to another party, they ought to be punished" he stated strongly. "So that's what happened?" I asked in surprise. "Yes, and they did it for money!" his forehead crinkled with an angry frown.

"It's one of them who shot me, our enmity traces back to my dad's time. All of it has to stop" he sighed, gaining control on his emotions once again. "Does Dan know that your lives are once again in danger?" I asked Matt. I didn't want to hear no for an answer. This was getting more serious than I thought.

"He doesn't even know that I'm in the hospital, and I want it to be that way. He can't be put under threat for all that I have done" he smiled sadly. "Matt! This is not about who did what, it's the matter of safety" I said disapprovingly.

"He's far from them Serena" he pointed out. "Where?" I asked him when Kevin barged in with no hint of a knock.

"Matthew, Dan's been spotted here" he broke the news which sounded like a contradicting challenge to what Matt was just telling me. "Here as in?" he asked.

"Here as in London" Kevin replied.
x-x

"Daniel must be really close to you" Kevin said as we walked down the hallways of Highmore Medical University the next day. The university was part of the hospital and I was studying there and was going to continue for a year more until I got my surgical degree. It was work and studies together for now and on some days the pressure swept me off my feet.

The good part was that I didn't have to spend another year to show my work experience.

"Yes we were really good friends" I told him as we went out. "Were?" he questioned like he didn't know about anything that happened. "Not seeing someone for years does drift you away from that person" I explained.

"I have noticed that Daniel only lets people close to him call him Dan, no one else. Everyone calls him Danny" he said and I realised the truth in it after a long time. How come that thought never crossed my mind. "Yeah, I was indeed the only person in school who called him that" I recollected.

"You know, I can make you meet him" he offered and it was like a spell being cast on me, an offer I couldn't decline. Finally someone understood what I wanted them to say. "You can?" I asked.