Chapter 7

You and Riley walked along the streets, trying to blend in with the crowd and not stand out. Which is a little difficult when you're carrying an obnoxiously huge, rolled up document. You turned to Riley to ask him how far away you'd parked the car, but shut your mouth at the expression on his face. He looked a combination of determined and completely terrified, which you hadn't exactly thought possible before now. Suddenly, it struck you. You could probably run away here and now. Riley wouldn't be able to chase you without causing a scene, and that would surely attract unwanted attention from Ian. It must've struck Riley too, because he quietly but with a definite undercurrent of reluctance said, "You should get out of here. We may be walking to our deaths. Ian will stop at nothing to get what he wants. His men have guns...." He paused at this, fear creeping into his voice. "..and they will use them. And... I'm sorry I dragged you into all of this. So leave before you get hurt." He turned his gaze towards you, the expression in his tired blue eyes the same it had been the first night after you had been kidnapped. Sympathetic. Caring.  Sensing your hesitation, Riley let out a sigh. "If anything happened to you, I'd never be able to forgive myself." You considered leaving. You didn't want to die. But then you realized that you still had no phone, no way to contact your parents, and you'd be by yourself in a huge city. Cities had always scared you. And though he said otherwise, Riley's expression seemed to be silently pleading for you to stay. You glanced up at Riley. "I'm not leaving. I'm not going to let you face Ian alone, if it comes to that." Relief flowed through Riley's eyes, and he affectionately let out a soft laugh. "You idiot. Just stay in one piece, okay?" You smiled back in response. You walked in silence for a couple seconds. Until someone shoved you to the floor from behind and pressed a gun to your head. "Don't move." A voice hissed in your ear.