A Freak Once Again: Chapter 12

Rogue burst through the doors of the school, storming through the halls to Logan’s room. She grabbed the doorknob but before she could turn it, a hand closed over hers.

                “Rogue, let him rest,” Nathan’s voice was very close to her ear.

                “I have to make sure he is okay,” she protested sternly, slipping her hand from his. She whipped around, catching a gasp in her throat as she realized how close their bodies were.

                “He is fine, trust me. Liam is in there with him, monitoring his brain and body. If something happens I’m sure you will be the first to know. Well, after me that is,” he chuckled, not bothering to take a step back. Secretly, he liked the close proximity. Rogue’s mind probably would have been in the same place had her thoughts not been occupied by the thought of Logan slipping into a coma or dying.

                “Look, I almost killed him. I think that gives me the right to at least go check on him, okay?”

                “Well,” he shrugged, “I guess there isn’t much harm in it. Just don’t try to shake him away or anything,”

                “Thank you,” she smiled, practically bolting into his room.

                Rogue had to take a moment to regain her composure as her gaze fell upon Logan. He looked normal, healthy, like the Logan she loved. The only difference was, he was completely peaceful, almost eerily so. She was used to the loud energetic man who almost was never completely peaceful. Even while he slept he usually stirred due to a nightmare. Now, however, there wasn’t a single sign that he was even alive aside from the steady rhythm of the rise and fall of his chest and the flush on his cheeks. Rogue approached the bed cautiously, giving Liam who was sitting in a nearby armchair, an acknowledged nod.

                “How is he?” She whispered.

                “Fine, sleeping,” he shrugged casually.

                “Amazing how a short amount of time could cause this,” she shook her head.

                “It wasn’t that short,” he pointed out.

                “Well… How do you know?”

                “I’ve been monitoring his mind which means his thoughts as well. I still can’t break through the wall of his memories, but his upfront thoughts are very clear right now, like a movie. He has been continuously playing your kiss over and over. It’s like he has a replay button in his head and he just keeps pushing it,” he chuckled lightly. Rogue felt her face grow hot at the thought of Liam seeing that moment multiple times.

                “Oh,”

                “Nothing to be ashamed of,” Liam said.