A Freak Once Again Chapter 10

“Um… The kitchen is the other way,” Rogue piped up after she realized they were walking in the wrong direction.

                “Storm asked me to take you to lunch, not to the kitchen,” Nathan answered.

                “So… We’re leaving campus?”

                “Is that a problem?”

                “No…”

                “Good,” he smiled. She followed him to the garage, apprehensive of the stranger she was about to crawl into a car with. It was not that she did not trust that he was a good person; she was slightly frightened by Storm’s intentions. Why had she wanted Nathan to take her to lunch? Was she about to be interrogated? Nathan noticed her hesitation and let out a small chuckle.

                “Storm wants me to talk to you,” he explained, brushing a piece of chocolate brown hair from his eyes.

                “About what?”

                “What do you think?” He raised an eyebrow.

                “Logan,” she guessed. His answering smile was her confirmation.

                “Come on, get in,” Nathan ordered kindly. With a tired sigh she complied climbing into the passenger seat of his Prius. Normally she would make some sort of jab at his masculinity for driving such a car, but for some reason she couldn’t bring herself to do it. Somehow he managed to make the Prius, sexy.

                The two sat in silence as Nathan drove them to a small diner nearby. When they arrived, Rogue couldn’t help but wonder how Logan was doing. He had to be doing better by then, but this did not put her worry at rest. Nathan seemed to notice her distracted gaze as she climbed out of the black car.

                “Marie, he’s fine,”

                “Huh?”

                “Logan, he is fine,”

                “How did you know I was thinking about him?” She suddenly wondered if he was a psychic.

                He gave a small chuckle, “Lucky guess I suppose. What else would you be thinking about?” She shrugged in response, he had a point. They walked into the friendly little diner. It wasn’t very busy but there were a few people seated in booths chatting happily. A few glanced in their direction, their eyes pausing an extra beat when resting on Rogue. No doubt they weren’t used to seeing a girl dressed in gothic attire. She ignored the pressing stares and followed a young female waitress as she led them to their table.

                “Can I start you off with something to drink?” She asked, pulling a notepad out from her apron and giving Nathan a friendly smile.

                “Iced tea will be fine,”

                “And you?” When she turned to Rogue her smile vanished and the warm tone she had used with Nathan was gone.

                “Same,” Rogue gave her the best smile she could, showing she was unfazed by her cold demeanor towards her.

                “Alright, I’ll be right back with those,”

                “You know, I was under the impression that sort of stuff only happened in movies,” she snorted once the waitress was out of earshot.