A Freak Once Again Chapter 5

Rogue couldn’t bring herself to move from her spot even when it was announced that their flight was beginning to board. She wanted to stand there, to drink in everything that just happened detail by detail. She couldn’t quite understand what had just taken place. Suddenly a pair of hands rested on her shoulders and for a moment she thought it was Logan, but to her surprise, when she turned around, she was greeted by a pair of blue eyes.

                “You okay?” He asked tenderly.

                “Huh? Why wouldn’t I be?” She put on a quick smile.

                “Maybe it’s been some years, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still know you well enough to know when you are upset,”

                “It’s fine Bobby,” this time her smile was genuine. She had forgotten how kind Bobby really was.

                “I know that’s not true, but if you want to talk about it I know you will. Come on, it’s time to get on the plane,”

                This time Rogue sat next to Bobby, leaving Harpy to sit between Logan and Liam. Heather refused to leave her side, the closer they got to New York the more anxious she seemed to get. Normally Rogue wouldn’t care, but knowing that the girl had no control over her powers made her weary. She didn’t want her anxiety to send the plane crashing to the earth.

                “Storm is really nice, so is everyone there. You don’t have to be nervous,”

                “I’m not that nervous about the school,” she sighed, “I’m upset,”

                “Upset?”

                “My parents were the ones who called Storm, they wanted me out of the house. They tried to give me the whole ‘we love you and want what’s best for you’ speech, but I could see it in their eyes, they thought I was a freak. Who am I to tell them different? I am a freak,” she muttered miserably. Rogue understood how the girl felt.

                “Maybe you are a freak,” Rogue shrugged. Heather’s sky blue eyes snapped to her, extreme pain and confusion filled her. For a moment Rogue thought she was going to cry. “Maybe you are a freak, but if you are a freak then so am I, and so are they,” she motioned to the rest of their group. “The point is, what we decide to call ourselves, what others decide to call us, it doesn’t matter. We are who we are and that isn’t going to change. You aren’t alone though, we are all in this together, and that’s what matters, okay?” Heather slowly nodded, the corners of her lips turned upwards.

                “Thanks,” she leaned in to give Rogue a hug, her arm rested against hers. Rogue tried to flinch away but it was too late. Heather’s mouth opened in shock as her veins became large and blue against her pale skin. Low inaudible sounds gurgled in her throat. Rogue pushed her off, staring in horror at the girl beside her.

                “Heather? Heather are you okay?” An intense fear and sadness filled Rogue and she knew it came from Heather.