Prologue

“He will be here soon.”

        “I know, and we have no idea what to tell him!”

        “Or if it's even the right time to tell him.”

        The three cats talked in hushed whispers as the stars reflected upon the lake. The scent of prey was all around them as other cats hunted and played and laughed. But these three cats were oblivious to everything going on around them. They have been having this same discussion for the last moon, ever since they learned of what was going to unfold.

        “I'm positive that this is the time that we tell him. You know how he is. He needs time to accept the idea.” The she-cat nodded her head confidently, daring the other two to argue with her.

        The she-cat to her left bared her yellowed fangs. “No one is going to argue with you, but how do we even approach him with this? You know what he is like to talk to. He'll gripe and moan and dismiss us before we even have a chance to make a point! His attitude has gotten much worse since the battle with the Dark Forest, if that is even possible!”

        The third cat sat quietly as the other two discussed the situation, keeping his thoughts to himself for the most part. Although he was highly respected by the other two he still felt as though he was a newcomer here and did not want to rub any cat’s fur the wrong way.

        The blue-gray she-cat stared at her, her blue eyes shining brightly as she spoke. “We approach him with the truth. There have been too many lies, and too many withheld truths. He has been hurt by it and mistrusts us because of it. The only way to make him listen is by being as forthright as we can be.”

        “The truth? From us? That is a novel idea. He won’t buy it.” She spat as she replied before raising her flattened face to the moon. “It is nearly moon-high.”

        She nodded her head. “He won’t buy it. Not from us. That is why he will tell him.” She gestured to the cat sitting next to her, catching him by surprise.

        He looked between the both of them before he spoke. “Me? Are you sure? You two have much more experience with this.”

        His former leader and mentor bowed her head as she spoke. “It is your time. Each great leader has their opportunity to guide their clan. I have had my time, and now it is your turn.”

        For once the other she-cat did not have a harsh response. She also bowed her head before turning away and walking into the trees. “Good luck,” she called back, adding with a laugh “You’re going to need it.”

        He rolled his eyes before looking back at Bluestar. “I feel like I just arrived. Don’t feel like you have to back off now. Our clan still needs your guidance. I still need your guidance.”

        She rested her muzzle on the top of his head. “I am not going anywhere. I will walk beside you for as long as I can. But it is your time. And to be honest with you, I am looking forward to watching you be the one to argue with Yellowfang for a change.” She purred with laughter as he mocked a face of shock before smiling.

        “I can hear you whispering back there, you know,” came a voice from beyond the brush. “If I came all this way just to sit by myself then perhaps next moon I will stay in my warm den and enjoy the peace and quiet.”

        “It is time,” she said, wrapping her tail around him before walking away.

        He nodded and took a deep breath before walking out of the brush to meet the ThunderClan medicine cat. Even though he knew that his kin could see in his dreams, it was still a thrill to see his blue eyes focus on him and recognition light his face. “Sorry to keep you waiting, Jayfeather.”

        “Firestar?” The puzzled look on the small, pale gray tabby made it obvious that he was expecting either Bluestar or Yellowfang.

        “I take it you were expecting somebody else? I hope you aren’t too terribly disappointed that I am the one to come here to greet you today.” He couldn’t help but purr as he approached him. Despite his often surly demeanor he had a deep love for his daughter’s son.

        Jayfeather shook his head as he moved forward to meet him. “Of course not, Firestar. I suppose I just assumed that Yellowfang would be waiting to give me what she considers to be wisdom. You are definitely an upgrade.”

        He was tempted to cuff the grouchy medicine cat with his paw and tell him to be nice but he had a much more important message to deliver. “Walk with me, Jayfeather. As much as I would like this to be a social visit I do have an important message to give to you. And I hope that you will be open-minded when you receive it.”

        Jayfeather walked along beside him, his ears perked and a surprising spring in his step. “Has there been another prophecy? Is there danger? What do I have to do?”

        Firestar laughed and shook his head. “Slow down, it is nothing that exciting. My message to you is simple. Important, but simple. Jayfeather, you must take on an apprentice.”

        Jayfeather stopped in his tracks. Everything around him seemed to quiet down in expectation of his response. The light breeze had died down. The sounds of scurrying prey disappeared. All traces of laughter and playing deep in the forest ceased. But instead of a biting comment or a yowl of disapproval, a loud laugh came from the medicine cat. “An apprentice? That is what you have to tell me? Thanks, but no thanks.”

        Firestar circled around him, preventing him from turning and walking away. “This is no joke, Jayfeather. It's imperative that you find yourself an apprentice.”

        The brief look of amusement faded from his face as he shook his head once more and tried to get past the StarClan cat. “No. I do not need one. Leafpool is a skilled medicine cat even if she isn’t one officially. And Brightheart has always filled in admirably when need be. And even Briarlight can help in a pinch. ThunderClan has plenty of cats able to treat wounds and fetch herbs. We don’t need another.”

        Firestar’s green eyes blazed as he responded. “I didn’t say that ThunderClan needed one. I said that you need one.”

        Jayfeather stopped trying to get past Firestar and gazed into his eyes. “Are you telling me that I am going to die soon?”

        The ginger tom sat down, his feature softening as he responded. “No, I am not prophesizing your death. I am telling you that it is very important that you have an apprentice. The right apprentice. And you will know who it is when it is time. Don’t ignore this, Jayfeather. Please.”

        Jayfeather regarded him for a moment before shaking his head and stalking off angrily. “I don’t want an apprentice. I don’t need an apprentice. And I don’t need StarClan. I can do everything myself. I always have and I always will.”

            Two she-cats approached from behind as Firestar watched the independent medicine cat walk away. “Well, that could have gone better,” sneered the first. “We expected this response, Yellowfang,” responded the second. Firestar simply purred as the two cats continued to argue. “I've missed that cat.”