Chapter 6

Chapter 6

            Icepaw could hardly contain himself. He was barely a moon into his training and he had talked to StarClan, been to a gathering, and now was going on a quest! If Bramblestar would allow it of course.

            “Tell me again why it has to be you that goes?” Bramblestar asked. He and Squirrelflight were sitting in his den listening to Jayfeather explain it all.

            “Because I got the message from StarClan,” Jayfeather explained. “This is something that is affecting all clans an all medicine cats. No cat is going to interfere with us while we do this. StarClan told me where to find the catmint and tansy, not any other cat. So it is meant to be my mission.”

            Icepaw hadn’t seen Jayfeather this excited about anything in his entire life. Of course, his entire life hasn’t been that long, but it is still something.

            “And you are taking Icepaw with you? No other cats?” Squirrelflight asked. She sounded more like a worried mother than a clan deputy. “I am sure we can spare another warrior.”

            Jayfeather just shook his head. “Just Icepaw will be fine.”

            Bramblestar got up and poked his head out of his den, looking up at the sky. “It has been a warm leaf-fall, but that doesn’t mean that we won’t have a harsh leaf-bare. We need those herbs, as do the other clans. Gather up what you need and leave early tomorrow.”

            “Thank you, Bramblestar.” Jayfeather led the way out of the den and Icepaw followed him closely. When they got to the base of Highledge Jayfeather stopped. “I’m going to go ask Leafpool and Brightheart to take care of things while we are gone. Go have Briarlight help you make some bundles of traveling herbs.”

            “You got it!” Icepaw chirped and he bounded into the medicine den.

            “So you are going?” Briarlight asked when he skidded to a halt.

            “Yup! Leaving first thing in the morning. Jayfeather asked me to get your help making some traveling herb packs.”

            Briarlight pulled himself up. “Gladly. Do you have any ideas what you will need?”

            Icepaw tilted his head as he thought. “Sorrel, daisy, chamomile, aaaand-” Icepaw knew there was one more but the name was escaping him.

            “Burnet,” finished Briarlight.

            Icepaw wanted to kick himself. He should have known. He wanted to be perfect for Jayfeather and this mission and he was already messing up.

            “Don’t sweat it, Icepaw. You’re just nervous. Let’s get those packs together then you go play with Honeypaw and Hollypaw. Get that nervous energy out of you.”

            Icepaw nodded and did just that after they got the packs ready. The rest of the day was a blur of activities and before he knew it he was being roused by Jayfeather.

            “Time to go, Icepaw. Come eat your herbs.”

            Icepaw jumped out of his comfy moss and eagerly gobbled up the bitter tasting herbs. He said goodbye to Briarlight then dashed into the apprentice den to say good by to his sisters. Jayfeather was waiting by the entrance, flicking his tail in anticipation when Icepaw bounded past him and through the brambles into the forest.