Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

            Jayfeather was sniffing the hind leg of Blossomfall who had limped back to camp after taking a tumble while patrolling one of the tunnels in ThunderClan territory. It didn’t feel warm and everything seemed to be ok, but he wanted to make sure before saying anything. After a few more moments he was satisfied. “Just a mild sprain. You’ll be off of duties for a week to make sure that it is healed properly.”

            The tortoiseshell cat turned to face him. “Thank you, Jayfeather. I feel like such a mousebrain in there.” She looked over his shoulder then heaved a sigh. “Do you think she will ever forgive me?”

            Jayfeather knew she was talking about Millie, who had been hovering far enough away to seem disinterested, but he could tell that she was curious as to what happened to her daughter. He shrugged as he gathered up his herbs.

            Blossomfall continued. “Do you think maybe I should apologize again? She told me there’s  nothing to talk about but I can tell she is just as unhappy as I am.”

            “I’m a Medicine Cat. I heal your wounds, not your relationships,” Jayfeather replied before he scooped up his bundle of herbs and headed back to his Medicine Den. And just as expected, Icekit was right behind him.

            “Why didn’t you give her any poppy seeds? Aren’t they good for pain?” Icekit asked.

            Jayfeather mumbled his reply with his herb bundle in his mouth. “Because she isn’t in discomfort unless she walks.”

            Icekit bounded up next to him, cheerful as always. “How could you tell that it wasn’t broken?”

            “Because I’m a Medicine Cat, that’s why,” responded Jayfeather irritably.

          Icekit asked another question, of course. “Why weren’t you nicer to her? She just needed someone to talk to.”

            Jayfeather pushed the herbs back into their place in the store. “Because I didn’t want to talk to her. If I had my druthers I would perform all of my duties without any cat talking to me.”

            Icekit laughed. “What does that even mean? You’re so funny, Jayfeather. Do you think you can show me what catmint looks like? Or maybe I can help you with Briarlight’s exercises?”

            It had been going on like this for nearly a moon; question after question after question. Ever since he had that silly dream he had been following him around and practically begging him to let him be his apprentice. Jayfeather could only say ‘no’ so many times before he started getting really mean to the young cat. The only reason that he hasn’t bitten his head off yet is because he was Lionblaze’s kit.

           Jayfeather sighed and tried to make his voice sound as friendly as possible. “No. No, no and no. Look, Icekit, I appreciate that you want to help but I already have plenty of help here. Why don’t you go play with Honeykit and Hollykit? Go practice some battle moves.”

            “But I don’t want to train to be a warrior. I want to be a medicine cat!” was Icekit’s ever exuberant response. “Why won’t you let me?”

            Jayfeather rounded on him. “Because I do not need, nor do I want an apprentice! Now if you’ll excuse me, I am going to go gather some herbs!” And with that he stormed out of his den, through the camp and out into the forest. He hated losing his patience with Icekit, but the kit just wouldn’t accept his fate.