Chapter 21 - Clarice

Posted: 2014

Trigger warning: This story is rated [Mature], and there is a mention of rape.

....................................

"A madness most discreet, a choking gall, and a preserving sweet." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

........................................

CHAPTER 21 - Clarice

~ R ~

It was three o'clock in the morning when Renee had been trying to fall asleep, keeping her eyes shut and avoiding thoughts that hindered her slumber, yet she stayed awake.

Not knowing if it was simply a subconscious thought or it was really there, Renee kept on hearing this strange, soft, almost whispery melody that played for as long as she was on her bed. She thought she was going mad and could not bear the odd sound anymore, so she opted to toss her duvet aside, no longer wanting to curl in it while covering her ears like a lunatic, and wore her slippers to walk out of her dormitory and find out where the mysterious sound came from.

The melody can barely be heard from Renee's dormitory so she didn't assume that the ladies would hear it, but it was resonating quite audibly in the common room so she wondered why the portraits were still asleep.

Casting a Disillusionment Charm on herself, Renee determinedly followed the sound and panicked slightly when she saw the Bloody Baron sweeping past her, so she dashed to avoid the ghost. The melody grew louder and louder as she followed it and she was alarmed to see that it was leading towards outside. Shivering, she went out of the castle, wishing she wore a cloak, and by that time, the sound was as loud as it could get.

Renee went to an abrupt stop as soon as she realized that she was going towards the Black Lake. She squinted and saw that there was some sort of creature by the coast.

Oh, shit. I think I should go back.

Realizing that the melody came from the creature, Renee concluded that it couldn't have been the Merrow who captured her. Carefully, she came closer to see who the creature could be and saw that it was not a Merrow, but a Siren. She was absolutely beautiful; she looked like a goddess, a sea goddess to be precise, and she was honestly one of the most exquisite creatures Renee has ever laid her eyes upon.

The Siren ceased her melodious tones once Renee looked at her in the eye. Knowing that her kind are far safer than than any of the Merfolk, she lifted the Disillusionment Charm on herself and walked towards the creature.

Wand at the ready, Renee, she thought, remembering Remus always telling her the very same words before engaging in an amateur duel with her.

Renee was again alarmed to see it-- her crying. She was still quite frightened to go near the lake and preferred to stay where she was, so she just asked her, "What's wrong?"

The Siren tried to reply, but all Renee could hear were gibberish words. She gestured for Renee to follow her, but she couldn't help but be afraid due to past incidents that were appallingly traumatizing, to say the least.

"How do I know you won't try to kill me in there?" Renee asked cynically.

More crying came from the Siren, causing Renee to become agitated, even curious. The Siren had straight blonde hair flowing down from her waist, covering most of her torso. She gently tucked it behind her ear, revealing a shell necklace, then tugged to pull its soft string and handed it to Renee.

"What is this supposed to be?"

The Siren hastily gestured for Renee to open the thing and once she did, the first thing she felt was utter and unmitigated shock.