Old Journeys End

*Ajar*

"Come on guys, we're almost there!" Gary says to his friends.  The group of friends, Ajar, Eva, Gary, Pietra, Pitt, and Emily, has been trekking through the desert heat for days, journeying back to the Oasis after rescuing Eva and Pietra from Omar.

Ajar looks ahead and sure enough, the end of their journey was, distressingly, within sight.  "Is something wrong, Ajar?" Eva asks, sliding up to his side.  "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, just worried," he replies.  "What are you worried about?" she asks quizzically.  "Once we get back to the Oasis, how will be able to stay together?" he asks forlornly.  Eva looks at him, then at the Oasis, then back at him and says, "We'll find a way; after all, we just crossed a desert!  Besides, I can live with you in the Suburbs."  Ajar looks into her eyes and finds with shock that she means what she says.  "But, I already told you how bad it is there!" he exclaims.  Eva, giggles and opens her mouth to speak.  "Uh, guys."  Ajar and Eva turn towards Gary, who was just up ahead.  "I know of a secret tunnel that connects the Oasis and Suburbs.  You can use it to visit each other," he says nervously, while Eva and Ajar just stare at him, stunned.  Finally, Eva spoke in an agitated voice, "And you didn't tell me about it when I was trying to escape the Oasis because?"  "Well, I-  I was k-" Gary stutters nervously.

Everyone laughs as Eva chases Gary around in circles.  Then, squawking overhead made everyone look up.  Right above them, was the three birds that guarded the Oasis.  "Get to cover!" Ajar yells and starts leading everyone to a nearby overhang.  One of the birds swooped down and grabbed Gary and lifted him off.  Another started diving, his eye's locked on Ajar.  Just before the talons wrapped around Ajar's neck, something slammed into his side, shoving him out of the way.  Ajar turns around and sees Eva being carried off to the Oasis.  "EVA!"  he yells before chasing after the bird.  "Ajar!  Look out!" Pitt shouted.  Ajar looks up and sees the third bird going into a dive.  Ajar darts under another overhang, oblivious to the stones dislodged by the wing-beats.  "Get out of there!" Emily yells as the overhang starts collapsing, but Ajar didn't get out of the way in time as the rocks start burying him.